Winter Release Q&A with Airbnbโ€™s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Declining a booking due to bad review

Answered!
Gwen18
Level 2
Redwater, TX

Declining a booking due to bad review

Will declining a booking due to bad reviews affect my superhost status?  I know that's why reviews are important.  To let us choose not to accept these.  But I couldn't find anything addressing this issue on the help page.  Only pertaining to declining due to other reasons. I have been hosting over 7 years and have never declined a booking.  But don't have a good feeling about this one.  

Top Answer
Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Gwen18 

My feeling is that if you have been hosting for 7 years and you worry about this particular booking, just go with your gut. Other hosts can perhaps confirm this, but I'm fairly sure it won't affect your Superhost status. The factors listed are rating, response rate, number of stays and number of cancellations. A decline is not a cancellation, and even cancellations are allowed to be 1% of bookings.

View Top Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Gwen18 

My feeling is that if you have been hosting for 7 years and you worry about this particular booking, just go with your gut. Other hosts can perhaps confirm this, but I'm fairly sure it won't affect your Superhost status. The factors listed are rating, response rate, number of stays and number of cancellations. A decline is not a cancellation, and even cancellations are allowed to be 1% of bookings.

@Gwen18 

I agree with @Shelley159....go with your gut on this one. Looks like you have Instant Book turned on and must be using the optional settings that guest can't instantly book if negative reviews?

Declining a trip request doesn't affect Superhost status. However declining alot of Trip Requests can affect your search results rank. However, since this is the only one you will have declined...no worries. You have to decline alot of Trip Requests for it to affect you:

Joan2709_0-1718209090759.png

Thank you Joan!  

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hey @Gwen18 ๐Ÿ‘‹

What a great topic to bring up and you've got some greta responses here. What did you decide to do in the end with this booking request? Looking forward to hearing from you. ๐Ÿ˜Š

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi Rebecca!

I declined it. And felt good about doing that. Because the things mentioned in their bad reviews were things that do not make me happy when I go to clean after guests leave!  Iโ€™m sure most hosts can relate to that. ๐Ÿคจ