Deplorable conditions and Airbnb refuses to help!

Jenny675
Level 2
Whitby, Canada

Deplorable conditions and Airbnb refuses to help!

I recently had the terrible misfortune of booking an Airbnb location which is actually two units, an upstairs unit and a downstairs unit.  The day I arrived it was so cold I could not sleep.  Unfortunately the temperature controls are in the upstairs unit and not accessible to the downstairs unit.  The host offered to bring heaters but a small space heater does not remove cold that oozes out of the floors and walls.

Immediately I then began to experience the noise from the unit above.  Parties until 3 am, loud, raucus, wrestling matches with people slamming each other into the floor boards.  Night after night after night.  Finally I messaged the host after speaking to them verbally and I said that I had, had enough and I wanted my money back.  He refused despite the fact that many others had complained about the same thing.  The noise, the being at the mercy of the upstairs guest.

I have complained to Airbnb many times.  They have the proof that this happened.  They know it has happened to others but they will not put through a refund.

How do I escalate things from here?

3 Replies 3
Jenny675
Level 2
Whitby, Canada

BTW, I booked for 30 days at this Airbnb and so the total amount that I will lose because I trusted that Airbnb would offer protection in these cases, is one thousand, four hundred dollars.  Definitely more than a flesh wound!

@Jenny675 

Just so I understand.  You are aware of other complaints from previous guests.  So I am guessing was in public reviews.  Being aware of negative significant problems you booked a month stay.  On your first night you had a severe issue, but you continued to stay though issues multiplied.  Then you found yourself in the same predicament as the other angry reviewers.

The question is why isn't the bad host and the Airbnb Computer Platform not  accepting 100% responsibility for the misfortune?

Hi Marie

i will be honest that I only read the first four reviews before I booked. Why did I stay beyond the first night? Because the host refused to provide a refund which left me stuck.

Since then Airbnb has reviewed my file and issued a full refund.