Do your guests ever ask you to plan their trip prior to booking?

Answered!
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Do your guests ever ask you to plan their trip prior to booking?

I have rarely if ever gotten questions from guests asking to plan their trip even after a booking has been made. Chicago is huge and relying on the host to plan a trip is simply silly. There’s so many online platforms designed for that.

Recently I’ve had several inquiries in a row with guests asked me to help them plan their trips prior to booking. Every time I have told them that I would  be happy to help once the reservation is made. None of them ended up booking.

Should I be putting more effort into this?

1 Best Answer
Normen0
Level 10
Canada

As someone pointed out, guests have access to your Guidebook although few know that it is there. I have a copy printed in my “Guest Guidebook” binder which also includes pamphlets and trail maps for visitor information, as well history articles from our  local newspaper. It also include guides to all things related to the apartment, heat, air conditioning, garbage, hot tub, wifi etc...

If someone asks me what to do in my city I send them a link to my Guidebook in Airbnb so it’s easy to find and I highlight three things that I think they may really like.   If they don’t choose to stay with us, I’m not offended.  I know we are one of the highest priced places in our area so money maybe it’s a factor and we are on their wish list but not attainable. I still enjoy being an ambassador for our City and AIRBNB. I’m sure it pays off in some ways. Having said that, I’m sure some of you in big cities have too many requests to be spending your time giving our free advice.  

View Best Answer in original post

45 Replies 45
Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Sorry, but I just can't help it - why not send them to your very own Walk Around the Block in Chicago here on the CC? It is walking distance after all 😛 @Inna22 @Ann72 

@Nick because I wouldn’t want my always perfect, always right, never trouble guests to find this forum and learn what I actually think about them half the time 🙂

But actually, yes, good idea! I can just send them the entire thing. After the book

@Nick @Inna22  I was thinking the same thing!  I got stuck on whether the link to the walking tour could be included in the guidebook, and I don't think it can.  But I'm pretty sure the link could go to guests even before they book - not saying you would want to make things too easy for them before they book, though, Inna 🤣

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Besides, guess who they will blame if their experience because of your recommendation didn't turn out as they hoped.  Best to stick to hosting and leave playing the 'Travel Agency' role to those  in that business.

@Fred13 that is always on my mind also. I feel like I am always putting disclosers everywhere. Please check with the venue, please remember that Covid regulations may change and so on. Guests already blame us hosts for bad weather, them not reading instructions and other things we have nothing to do with. Last thing I want is bring responsibility upon myself

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Someone who is using Airbnb is obviously computer savvy enough to look things up. Why would they want travel advise from a random host who might actually not even live in the area or have different interests or be a home body when there are so many resources out there

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Inna22 , some of mine recently want me to be both travel agent, recommending itineraries, and adventure outfitter, renting their canoes for them and helping with meal planning.  

I'm helpful: I point to the guidebook for what to do and how to rent equipment. I point to google for camping recipes. I did make up a google map of canoe launch points along with estimated paddling times, but that link is saved for booked guests. That information really is something they would have trouble finding themselves. It isn't generally google-able. 

Airbnb does encourage guests to ask for, and "compliment" the host on, local tips, so it's not so strange that guests take that a little further into travel agent territory. I agree that it is a fairly new phenomenon, though. Maybe it's in bigger font now...

So anyway, what do you recommend I see in Chicago? 😉

@Lawrene0 great new profile picture! I recommend you and I grab a drink together at one of the local places in Old Town 🙂

@Lawrene0  There's probably some blog out there advising guests to get their host to plan an itinerary for them, along with how to get a discount and how to scam a free stay 🙂

There could very well be, @Sarah977 . I think we should write one ourselves, but all the information will be false. That's what the internet is for, right? 😉

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Inna22 @Lawrene0 @Sarah977 @Ann72 this is interesting. Until this year we rarely if ever got any requests for local recommendations. But this year it is happening all the time. After getting three requests in short order for hiking recommendations, I finally put together a stock message for that. If someone asked me for a trip plan (nobody has) I would say: canoe/kayak, hike, read, hot-tub, look at the lake. Easy!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lisa723 @Inna22 @Lawrene0 @Ann72 

I wonder if the increase in these requests is due to the changing demographic of guests being reported here since the pandemic. 

Before, most people booked because they had a specific reason to come- taking a course, attending an event, visiting family, vacationing somewhere that's been on their bucket list.

But now it seems more people simply want to get away from their own 4 walls, so they might book anywhere if they knew what there was to entertain themselves with in the area. And way more digital nomads, who can work from anywhere that has reliable internet.

Of course they could do this research themselves, but it's easier to be lazy and ask someone else to do it for them.

@Sarah977 I want my old travelers back! (stomping feet and throwing a small tantrum)

@Inna22  Except the ones who tried to scam you about having a quiet little get together with grandma when they intended to throw a big party 🙂

@Sarah977 ugh, yes!