Egg shells

Answered!
Debbie930
Level 4
McCalla, AL

Egg shells

Got a little chuckle this mornig when I read my guests private post about my eggs in the refridgerator. Admittedly, I don't open the 18 count egg carton everyday to check for eggs as I keep up with the number of guests through daily, and basically can figure out when I might be getting low. Apparently a past guest(s) had placed used egg shells back in the carton and the guest wrote that it "completely turned us off to ever wanting to come back".  There were still half dozen eggs left in the carton. My immediate thought was, 'how many AirBnB hosts supply the guests with a well stocked pantry so they do not have to go out for food if they come in late, or go our for breakfast in the mornings?'

I ensure there is soup, frozen dinners, snacks, drinks, wine, and all sorts of breakfast food, all at no extra price to the guest. I don't charge cleaning fees, pet fees, or anything else. I take care of the cottage myself and ensure it is beyond spotless (check my 144 reviews of a spotless cabin!)  I stay booked 30 nights a month, every month. Yet, these little 20-something-year-old snots only have to pay a $60.00 nightly rate for a 5 star, top of the line cottage, fully stocked, stand-alone space and bitch about 6 eggshells in an egg carton!  I come from a completely different world than these entitled younguns! Oh, well...time to laugh it off.

1 Best Answer
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

We get freshly laid eggs from a friend and yes the eggshells have always been a great fertiliser in the garden.

Birds like to peck at them and worms, earwigs and wood louse like to crawl through them.

We crush ours up after we have used them.

Maybe you could include a piece about composting of egg shells @Debbie930 

View Best Answer in original post

24 Replies 24

In my mind, a fully stocked pantry would mean all condiments, oils, dressings, some general canned goods, etc. However, my goal is to provide the same foods as one would find in a hotel, basically single packaged breakfast foods, chips, drinks, etc. But because I have a kitchen in the cottage my guests can opt for a hot breakfast if they want to cook it. Thus, eggs and sausage are in the fridge. Probably a mistake and I may rethink the entire issue, but for now all guests accept one have been overjoyed that they don't have to go out once they're settled in. Not to mention, my place is basically an overnight stop for a hot shower and sleep.

@Ann72 Fully stocked pantry to me would be all dry goods and condiments needed to prepare meals (minus the meat/veggies), cereals, etc. We're by Disney World, so guests are usually at the parks all day and eat out, but some do make breakfast or kids meals. We have hundreds of restaurants and a dozen grocery stores within 15 minutes, plus food delivery galore, so I focus on first day supplies, breakfast and snack items, which works well for our clientele. 

I do stock many of the same items you mentioned. Since COVID, I got rid of the family sized condiments in favor of mini bottles like you'd get from a hotel room service order. These are big enough to cover an average stay, without wasting the larger sizes, or adding cleaning/sanitize steps. Waste aside, the little bottles are a bit costlier per serving, so I may not save much money. In all honesty I don't fully trust myself to always catch expiration dates (50 year old eyes don't see as well as they used to!), so I mostly do the single servings for guest safety and my peace of mind. We don't leave perishables either. You just can't be sure that someone didn't leave something out all night and then just mindlessly toss it back into the fridge:-). 

I love those little condiment bottles @Mike850 - the ketchup bottles are particularly endearing.  Where do you get them?

I've been getting them on Amazon, but am looking for a better price. Planning to check a local commercial restaurant supply house, but have to coordinate with a friend who has a business license as they don't sell to the public. 

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Everything is OK. This egg-shell fashion is some kind of youtube and social media idiocy, circulating around the world right now.

I found a full carton of empty eggshells in my mother's fridge 5-6 moths ago. When I asked what is all about, she told me, that there is a youtube video about it. Some kind of idiots are keeping empty eggshells in the fridge, until they are completely dry. Then, they are shredding the eggshells and using them as a fertilizer for flowers.

Check the fridge after every guest. There is other way.

@Dimitar27  I didn't know it was some social media fad, but eggshells do make good fertilizer, that isn't idiocy.

However, there is no need to keep them in the fridge until they are dry. They can just be crushed up and put directly on the ground.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

We get freshly laid eggs from a friend and yes the eggshells have always been a great fertiliser in the garden.

Birds like to peck at them and worms, earwigs and wood louse like to crawl through them.

We crush ours up after we have used them.

Maybe you could include a piece about composting of egg shells @Debbie930 

Jennie131
Level 10
Rapid City, SD

I would question the overall cleanliness of the place if I were to find egg shells put in the egg carton with fresh eggs. It's not being "entitled," it's having expectations that basic cleaning and hygiene standards are being followed. 

If I had overlooked this, and a guest complained, I would be mortified.

Wow you provide quite a lot of extra food items!  What a very generous stay.

Kerry-and-Mark1
Level 2
Rocky Mountain House, Canada

I want to know where your cottage is located! That is a pretty sweet deal! How do you make any money??