Emergency repairs in studio

Imogen23
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Emergency repairs in studio

I had an emergency when my cleaner broke my washing machine and I needed to get an engineer in to the flat. There were clothes stuck inside the flat. I was trying to get the situation sorted immediately.. but the guest did not make it easy and said the earliest time available for the engineer to access the flat wasn't convenient for him.  He did not want to leave his spare key out for the engineer.  I delayed the engineer by 24 hours. The guest suggested another time- the engineer ended up arriving over 70 minutes late to the time that the guest suggested.. but this was due to morning traffic. The guest had to wait at home for him to come. The reservation is now over but I am worried about getting a bad review- the emergency was not my fault or the fault of the guest but I am sure he was irritated by my request for the repair during his stay and how this inconvenienced him. I would welcome any other host's advice on how to deal with a situation like this. 

9 Replies 9
Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Imogen23 

How I would have acted:

- if possible, wait until guest leaves. If anything goes missing from the guest (or even if he claims if went missing) it could. be a huge headache.

- if not possible, to wait, as the guest needs the appliance sorted (lets imagine it is the boiler and the guest has no hot water) you or someone that you trust should be there. It is not the guest responsibility to open the door to any service person. You need to have your own key, not rely on the guest keys. What is it was a real emergency, water flooding the house, and you need immediate access? In situations like this, you inform the guest that you will be there, to repair it, between the hours of XX and XX, to ensure that he has the best stay possible.

Imogen23
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

thanks @Roberta2 ..  as mentioned there were clothes inside the washing machine.. and they would go off/ smell of mould if left inside.. it was pretty urgent to get them out.

I was not making the guest responsible for the repair..  I suggested times but he didn't want them to access my place without his presence. . I do have a spare key.. but by law if the guest doesn't authorise entry then i cannot let someone in.  I am not currently in the country.. but there are porters on hand. who manage the building who also have a spare key to the property. . I did offer this option for the porter to accompany the engineer but even that wasn't accepted.. I asked the guest for a convenient time.. I respected his wishes to be present at the time of the repair.. but the engineer arrived very late due to traffic.. I am sure he's going to give me a bad review.. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Imogen23  I agree with Roberta, that it doesn't really sound like this was an emergency, unless there was water flooding all over the floor. If it was just a matter of your clothes being in the broken machine, you could have arranged to go over and retrieve the clothes at the guest's convenience, and taken them to the laundromat. If it was a matter of the washing machine being one of the amenities for the guest, you could have offered him a small refund because it wasn't working. It wasn't really the guest's affair to deal with the tradesman, nor should a guest be expected to feel okay about some stranger entering when he isn't there.

A this point, I'd send the guest a message, sincerely apologizing for the inconvenience you caused him. You'll just have to live with the review he leaves. There's really no point in worrying about what someone might say in their review- sometimes hosts have been anticipating a bad review and were surprised when they got a good one, or the guest didn't even bother to leave one..

Imogen23
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

there was a full load of wet towels and sheets from a previous guest and the washing machine was broken.. it could not be opened- the door needed to be removed..  The  current guest is staying 5 days and I do not put the washing machine as an amenity in the studio so i did not have to offer a refund for the service that wasn't available.

Unfortunately I am not in the country and so I was not able to go to the property personally.. I have already thanked the guest.. and apologised for the inconvenience.. I offered him various alternatives.. even waiting until after his stay.. but.. if the clothes started to smell and go off in the flat then this was going to affect his stay- in my opinion action needed to be taken. I just feel bad as he had to wait around for the tradesman so long. 

In the suggestions you have both made.. I have already pretty much done what you have suggested.. and more..  the damage to the machine was not something I did.. it was the cleaner who was responsible for the turnaround service. it was a very frustrating issue to deal with from across the  planet- trying to get a tradesman who was available and qualified to sort.  I will be interested to see the review as I went out of my way to accommodate this particular guest and enable him to stay and have early check in etc. 

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Imogen23 Honestly you seem to have everything you could, given the circumstance. If the guest chooses to complain, then they will complain. Relax and respond professionally to their review but only what is left publicly. Life is too short! Have a great day 🙂

Imogen23
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

You are right.. I worry too much. 

Imogen23
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

The guest did leave a 4 star review.. the text was complimentary.. but 4 stars for most things.. and 4 overall..  

Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Imogen23 

Do not take to heart. I got a 3* from a french girl because I did not speak french. I am in London. You will never please everyone!

Imogen23
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

It was not a pleasant experience.. i guess sometimes it just isn't..