Expensive Damage Repair Dilemma: Assistance with Identifying Responsible Party

Answered!
Gabriela964
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Expensive Damage Repair Dilemma: Assistance with Identifying Responsible Party

An Airbnb tenant checked into my short-term rental today around 5 PM. At 8 PM, they reported that the dining table had a crack on the edge, stating they didn’t want to be blamed for it since they’d only been there for a few hours.

The previous tenants left four days ago. I already gave them a 5-star review as I didn't notice any issues at the time, and they also gave me a 5-star review. However, they had a couple of one-year-olds. I did stop by to drop off water and saw a parent holding their child. While I didn't see the child standing on the table, I know this can happen. So, there’s a chance the previous tenants caused the damage and didn’t notice or didn’t report it.

I cleaned the unit myself four days ago and didn’t notice any damage. My mother-in-law, who owns the property, was there yesterday and didn’t notice anything either. Granted, we weren’t specifically looking for damage, but I feel I would have noticed a crack while cleaning.

This table has a slim slate and stone top and cost nearly $1500. The repairs will likely cost hundreds of dollars.

I have no proof that either set of tenants broke the table, but I know one of them did. I’m desperate to resolve this because after the current tenants check out, I have two more bookings with same-day turnover back-to-back. There will be very little time to either replace or repair the table before the next tenants arrive.

What do you suggest I do?

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Gabriela964 Claiming on your insurance is the only option as it is not fair/possible to claim from either guest or from Aircover.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Gabriela964 Claiming on your insurance is the only option as it is not fair/possible to claim from either guest or from Aircover.

Thank you Mike. Do you mean there is an insurance through Airbnb, or a private insurance of some sort? 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Gabriela964 Private insurance. Aircover requires you to identify the guest and claim from them. Aircover for damage is also not an insurance policy.

Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Gabriela964 

I agree with @Mike-And-Jane0 that you can't claim from one of the guests here. Try to replace the table with one from your own home until you have a chance to have a new one delivered or the old one repaired. I agree with you that you can't book delivery of a new table on same-day changeover days as it is too stressful, if not impossible, to try to arrange delivery at an exact time. If you take your own table to the Airbnb, you control the timing yourself.