Fake damage claims from the host

Sandra4965
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Fake damage claims from the host

Hello airbnb community,

I was wondering if anyone had false damage accusations against them after their stay?

I have booked a flat in Bergen to celebrate my dad’s 55th birthday with the family. We have cleaned the dishes, took out the rubbish, gathered used towels and cleaned the surfaces for the flat to look presentable. 

After our departure from the property landlord opened a case for severe damages i.e. deep damage to the counter, paint on the walls, missing glasses and the key fob missing from the key ring, floors being sticky from spilled alcohol and so on. He is claiming over £4,000 in damages that we didn’t do!

every other day last week and this week he comes back with yet additional damages and this sets me to have panic attacks, as this is just absurd! It was a quiet weekend away with the family and NOT a house party for 20 teenagers! And my reviews during the time I have signed up for Airbnb is spotless: all precious hosts have mentioned me being clean and respectful guest.
I can see some pictures being fake and I have already reported it to Airbnb.

Did anyone have similar experience and how you dealt with it?

I am considering even reporting it to the police.

Any recommendations or advise would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

46 Replies 46

We had similar situation today. The host lied and is claiming 270 CAD falsely. I feel like these kind of people should not be allowed to host!

Rachel2983
Level 2
Taupo, New Zealand

Same thing again has happened to us 2 weeks after check out in a Brisbane apartment after the review process has closed we receive a claim for damages  and replacement to a stained mattress $300 NZD. We left this apartment in excellent condition. No dated photos or dated cleaning sheets were provided to us after numerous emails even after requesting it and without any evidence from our end to counter end hosts claim Airbnb have sided with the hosts. We categorically did no damage to this property. They still charging the credit card and we have no ways of stopping it. So disappointed and definitely a scam please beware and take photos before you leave any airbnb property. Shame on you airbnb. Will be cancelling my account from now.