Fake damage claims from the host

Sandra4965
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Fake damage claims from the host

Hello airbnb community,

I was wondering if anyone had false damage accusations against them after their stay?

I have booked a flat in Bergen to celebrate my dad’s 55th birthday with the family. We have cleaned the dishes, took out the rubbish, gathered used towels and cleaned the surfaces for the flat to look presentable. 

After our departure from the property landlord opened a case for severe damages i.e. deep damage to the counter, paint on the walls, missing glasses and the key fob missing from the key ring, floors being sticky from spilled alcohol and so on. He is claiming over £4,000 in damages that we didn’t do!

every other day last week and this week he comes back with yet additional damages and this sets me to have panic attacks, as this is just absurd! It was a quiet weekend away with the family and NOT a house party for 20 teenagers! And my reviews during the time I have signed up for Airbnb is spotless: all precious hosts have mentioned me being clean and respectful guest.
I can see some pictures being fake and I have already reported it to Airbnb.

Did anyone have similar experience and how you dealt with it?

I am considering even reporting it to the police.

Any recommendations or advise would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

53 Replies 53
Julia4734
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I’m dealing with a similar situation right now.

We checked out of the property on Monday and left the apartment in a good clean condition, loaded dishes into a dishwasher, wiped table and underneath the table. Took the trash out. We are travelling with baby so I have placed a few ceramic items on the shelf higher, so the baby can’t reach.

we have broken a wine glass and one of the ceramic pots right before we left and I forgot to mention to the host immediately as we left, as we were in a rush and I had to look after my baby. She messaged me the same day asking where those items are, so I sent her pictures of broken items(as I was planning to update them about the damages) and apologies about that. I know it’s my mistake I didn’t message her straight away.

now 5 days later the host has messaged accusing us of more damages, that we have never done. Additionally, she is suggesting that we didn’t wipe our crumbs off the table, the sofa is stained, highchair is not clean, toilet is not clean, dishwasher was not emptied etc.

I have been using Airbnb for almost 10 years and I have great reviews, mentioning that we leave places clean. This is the first time I’m dealing with such situation. We are responsible and respectful family and would never leave someone’s place in the condition they are accusing us of. 
This is so upsetting and I hope we can find a resolution soon.

I am going through something similar right now and airbnb is saying i have to pay

Wich is BS the dmg look old

I wonder what kinda idiots investigate this claims

From no one i will never rent airbnb again only hotels

I am going through same experiece now, was in Spain a month, really bad uncomfortable, grubby appartment, advertised as cosy app by sea, sea but not as in beach, its a Rock formation/scrub Land where people take dogs to s--t, nothing cosy about it, lamps not working, and and and filled with cheap Ikea tat, paid €250 caution, obviously told owner ** a woman that I will be doing an honest review, after leaving given all clear caution back, she sent pic of sabotaged hob saying she wanted caution back, it wasnt like that when I left and I didnt do it, however I do have pics I took 2 was before the hob was badly marked then, not as bad as the pic she sent tho, I am fuming but also feeling quiet ill over the matter, I feel sure she is claiming this to stop me doing an honest review, but how can I not, I have to protect other people from her/warn them, while on balcony there, a person/woman overlooking ours took a full/face pic of my hubby and rushed off, so glad he had the foresight to Cover his face, my honest opinion is she is renting many properties long term cheap, putting in nasty second hand furniture and re renting to the likes of me, and making an absolute Fortune, so she is a powerful person to go against like the mafia if you understand what I mean, I feel so unwell, it shouldnt be like this,  nasty greedy person 

**[Content removed inline with the Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that our Nondiscrimination Policy doesn’t allow for discrimination based on age,  race, ethnicity, national origin, religious affiliation, disability, gender or sex. 

I just had a stay and the hosts is doing the same thing. The worst prt is Airbnb doesnt look like its doing much. They have people working in timbuktu who can barely understand and  are “investigating”. This is ridiculous, if i took videos and pictures there should be no investigation. This is the next level of scam. 

We had similar situation today. The host lied and is claiming 270 CAD falsely. I feel like these kind of people should not be allowed to host!

Rachel2983
Level 2
Taupo, New Zealand

Same thing again has happened to us 2 weeks after check out in a Brisbane apartment after the review process has closed we receive a claim for damages  and replacement to a stained mattress $300 NZD. We left this apartment in excellent condition. No dated photos or dated cleaning sheets were provided to us after numerous emails even after requesting it and without any evidence from our end to counter end hosts claim Airbnb have sided with the hosts. We categorically did no damage to this property. They still charging the credit card and we have no ways of stopping it. So disappointed and definitely a scam please beware and take photos before you leave any airbnb property. Shame on you airbnb. Will be cancelling my account from now.  

The same happened to me in Camelot resort on Myrtle Beach. The host accused me because of strains on sofa bed but when we checked in that strains were there and my wife paid attention to them. The host want to charge me 45 dollars , I think this is a special trap for customers to get additional money by this way and I am sure that they knew about this issue. I done  lots of reservations before from different famous web sites and never had problems like this and it was my first experience airbnb and unfortunately happened this to me.

Pasha26
Level 1
Greenwich, CT

This happened to me 3 weeks ago in Switzerland! The hosts were so rude and aggressive (disguised in politeness of course). Absolutely maddening episode. They claimed spots and scratches on the walls and wanted $1,000 for a job a magic eraser would have fixed in 30 seconds. Not that I made the spots anyhow. Luckily Airbnb denied their claim, but I’m NEVER using Airbnb again. That was the last of many straws.

Tymon3
Level 1
Holmdel, NJ

Happening to me at this exact moment. We have been using Airbnb for years and have a spotless 100% positive record with tens of hosts. We are always extremely careful and leave the properties spotless.

We were hit with a false damage claim about a dent on a dryer during our last trip. They wanted >$1000 for a new dryer (?!?). I have check-out pictures of the whole place but did not take one of the dryer. The host sent a pic of a dent on the dryer 8 days after our checkout with no proof of this dent not being present before our check-in or not being caused by the cleaning crew or another guest after our check-out. Despite our spotless record and  "assurance that they are here to help," they hit us with a $720 bill for a dryer dent we did not cause. Absolutely infuriating!!! Airbnb is accessory to fraud!