Fresh towels out?

Fresh towels out?

I'm new to hosting and wondered what is the appropriate practice for hand towels, kitchen towels, etc.   I haven't been putting them out as I want my guests to know they are all clean and they can put out what they choose, but is this ok or how do others handle this?  Thanks in advance! 

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Kate2019 if you have a cupboard full of towels then you will find at least one guest will use all of them. Just put out a reasonable amount and lock the rest away. I am not sure why guest would think a towel left out (neatly folded) is anymore dirty than the bedding on the bed.

@Mike-And-Jane0   Thank you! 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Kate2019   We put out towel sets in the bathrooms for each guest.  Neatly hung, stacked bath towel, hand towel and washcloth.  Extra makeup washcloths are in a basket by the basin.  We do not put out the kitchen hand towels -- they are folded in a drawer next to the sink.

@Mike-And-Jane0 are correct about towels in a cupboard.  There are guests who will use every towel that they can get their hands on, and it doesn't matter if they are there for a week or a single night.   I leave one additional bath towel per guest in the bathroom cubby, and they get washed with every guest changeover, even if they appear unused.

@Lorna170   Thank you! 

Kristen402
Level 3
Atlanta, GA

@Kate2019 When I get the room cleaned, vacuumed, beds made, etc, I rly on my former experience as a hotel housekeeper and I fold (my way, your way, experiment) a bath towel, a hand towel and two washcloths per guest registered at the for of the bed. To me, it makes the difference between a 'guest in my house' and a 'paying guest in my establishment'. Because no offense to my friends or my parents, I wouldn't do that for them, nor do they expect it. But if I pay for even the cheapest of motel rooms, I do want some merchandising, I do want personal touches. People almost always comment on the effort, so it's not for nothing.

That said: @Mike-And-Jane0 , true on both counts: Give 'em a stack, they'll take the whole cupboard! I am on premise, so I visibly replace all bath towels, mats, shower curtain liners and kitchen towels, as well as dish sponges so guests witness the diligence I exercise regarding sanitation standards.