Guest disability non-disclosure

Susan1297
Level 2
Westerly, RI

Guest disability non-disclosure

Hello Community,

I'm very angry with Airbnb disclosure requirements. I had a guest book but didn't disclose his disability. He doesn't have a mobility disability, nor a hearing or vision disability. He has 2 prothetic arms making daily life a challenge for him. I am very empathetic - maybe too much. He couldn't use the keypad at the front door and he had trouble with a key. I finally gave him a garage remote to enter and exit from there. He also has trouble with round door knobs so he doesn't keep any doors closed and latched. He has zero social skills, criticized my decor as "generic", walks into rooms that do not concern him just to look around, and drinks out of the kitchen faucet like a water fountain.  And because of this particular disability, nothing is kept clean. The whole situation is unnerving at best.

Airbnb needs to address this type of issue. My listing already says my home is not handicap accessible. What do I do in the future?

4 Replies 4
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Susan1297 It seems pretty unlikely that you will encounter this particular issue again. In general, it's not up to a host to make decisions about whether their listing can accommodate a guest with a disability; that is for the guest to decide. And your complaints about his social skills and invasions of privacy have nothing to do with his disability. You have every right to insist that your house rules are followed and to leave an honest review, but you don't have the right to turn away guests because you judge that their disability disqualifies them.

I would not have turned him away. As I mentioned in my post I am very empathetic plus I'm aware of discrimination. However, if I had advance notice I could have prepared so his stay would have been easier for both of us. I do message guests in advance and ask them to let me know if there is anything special they need or want. He never responded. (He just showed up - a day early I might add - but I accommodated his early arrival and helped him modify his reservation.) His inability to do for himself in my home made it difficult for both of us. I was waiting on him because he would ask me to prepare his coffee, tea or breakfast when I normally just leave it available for my guests. I also feared he'd accidentally close himself in his room without ability to get out. In any case, I came here looking for solutions, not to be reprimanded.

John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

-

@Susan1297 

I would be just as upset as you are.  This person should have booked a place that is listed as handicapped accessible. In lieu of that he might have told you he has  problem with doors & such. He sounds like a real jerk.

II believe it is actually the guest who should notify a host if there are any out of the ordinary circumstances that the host should know about in advance -- it would be the courteous thing to do. As hosts we like to please people, and with a little warning you would have been prepared to deal with it and maybe made his stay more pleasant.

I had guests who booked without telingl me that they were observant Jews, and I had to disable the alarm for them on  the Sabat -- and they didn't eat any of the delicious food I left for them because it wasn't kosher.  If they had notified me I would have given them kosher wine and kosher food without thinking twice, but being surprised by this actually upset me.

I'm thinking of incorporating into my Welcome Message a sentence like this:

Will you be needing any special, unusual, or out of the ordinary considerations or accommodations of any kind during your stay? If so, please tell me now so I can be ready to accommodate you on your arrival?

Otherwise, I could make a sentence like this:

Please, inform us if you have any needs, disabilities, physical impairments, religious requirements or anything that you might need us to prepare for prior to your visit.

I think it is the guest who should bear the brunt of your frustration not AirBnB,

On the other hand, how hard would it be for AirBnB to ask guests to disclose any special treatment they may require?

As a host I find it hard to cover every contingency, but your shared experience was helpful to me. Thanks.

-

I did message him prior to his confirmed arrival and asked if he would need or want anything special during his stay (as I do with all guests). He never responded. In fact, he showed up at my door a day early which was startling, but I accommodated him and assisted him in modifying his reservation with Airbnb. 

I agree that he should be responsible for notifying hosts and I bear responsibility to modify my listing with more precise language. I like your suggestions of "please inform us if you have any needs..... prior to your visit." I will be incorporating that as well. Thank you for that.

Now to write the review without sounding rude or cold.