Guest handling

Anuj87
Level 1
Dumfries, United Kingdom

Guest handling

Hi ,

If some one can advice about if guest does not follow the house rule how can we handle such situation. To specify my issue two guests who stayed and had left lot of cigarette smell in the property even if it was clearly identified its NO smoking flat. The buds and cigarette was found in the bin and very high smell in the kitchen sink. 

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Anuj87 leave them an honest review. Then open the windows and air the place out.

Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

There are a couple things you can do to approach the situation

1. As @Mike-And-Jane0 said, leaving an host review is crucial. 

2. You can look into making extra signage that reiterates the no smoking rule. I list that my property is strictly nonsmoking, however people often do not read the Airbnb ads in full even though they are agreeing to the rules when booking. Because I have had rules overlooked (minor or otherwise) I have a welcome binder in the room in which I place another sheet with home rules. You can also mention it in your welcome message if you feel it is important enough to mention again. 

3. If the smell is so significant that you believe it requires additional cleaning, you can open a claim and request funds from the guest. This will require you to provide supporting evidence of the extra cleaning/expenses. For example, I had a guest smoke weed in my home, resulting in a smell I could not get rid of. I ended up having to have the drapes and carpet cleaned, so I uploaded the estimates to support my claim. Now obviously the guest does not have to consent to paying the extra funds and can decline or ignore the request.  In that case aircover would come in, evaluate and decided a compensation amount if any.