Guest is accusing me of discrimination for asking for a zoom call?

Lecayle0
Level 1
Calgary, Canada

Guest is accusing me of discrimination for asking for a zoom call?

A bit of background, I am a brand new host (this would be my 3rd) and I have a guest staying at my place for over 50 days. Since booking, the communication from this guest has been non-stop every 2 days or so with another question or request or post-confirmation negotiation.

Yesterday, he asked to get mail at my apartment and I said I wasn't comfortable with that. He escalated and created a case with airbnb support when I didn't respond to him after 2 hours (I work!).  I agreed that packages/uber eats is fine, but regular postal mail that requires a mailbox key is not. He is still insisting that I won't let him get mail at all. 

Today, based on the advice of a friend who also hosts, I asked for us to have a quick zoom call to level set. I've seen a few other community posts and this is relatively normal for long stays when the host will be out of town. Whelp. Not according to this person. He refused to meet, accused me of discrimination according to Airbnb policy and is reporting me to the support team. As a queer woman of colour, I find this to be incredibly hurtful. 

Has anyone else dealt with this? What was the outcome? I called support myself and they said that if I cancel, even though I feel I'm being harassed and that my safety is now compromised, I will incur a penalty. I don't think that is exactly fair. Has anyone had success with escalating? 

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Lecayle0  You could offer him a free-of-penalty cancellation as he is so unhappy with the mail situation.

I will do my best, but the whole thing has me very shaken and concerned. I'm not sure what his ethnicity or orientation is. it isn't my business to ask and it doesn't matter to me. What matters is mutual respect.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Lecayle0 

I just wanted to check in and see how things are going?

Please do let us know if you need any advice, and I'm sure our experienced hosts would be happy to help.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Lecayle0   It may be time for you to report the guest for harassment and then ask that his booking be cancelled by AirBnB as you are afraid of this male guest.  

then, do not book long term guests until you are more comfortable and confident with the process.