Guest left a large crack in ceramic cooker hob

Answered!
Catherine468
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Guest left a large crack in ceramic cooker hob

Hi, so I have lodged a request for reimbursement for a replacement as it is unsafe to use cracked glass electric hobs.

I couldn't get back to the property until a few days after the guest checked out. He must know, or his companion must know, they had done it but didn't tell me.

I noticed it when I got back home tonight after spending a few days away. No one else had access to the property between him checking out and me returning to it so it is definitely one of the two guests who caused the damage.

It will cost me nearly £300 to get it replaced - the hob itself cost £150 but it cost £20 for delivery and there was a £90 connection fee, plus VAT. I didn't know how much to request so just requested the total on the invoice sent to me by AO.com, who I bought it from 3 years ago. 

I feel uneasy asking for a refund but can't just afford to replace it myself. These guests also tread mud all through the hallway, left all the windows open, the hot water on, left dirty cups etc in the sink and garbage unemptied. I don't think they really understood the concept of airbnb and thought it was just like a hotel. 

What happens if the guest doesn't want to pay? I can't imagine he will want to fork out nearly £300. 

Does anyone else have ceramic hobs in their rentals? I'm thinking of replacing it with an ugly but more robust metal plate cooktop, sigh....

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If the guest has damaged the hob, then follow the process on Airbnb for claiming guest damages @Catherine468 . Contact the guest with photo/video evidence and an estimate for the cost of replacement.  If they don't reply or refuse, raise with Airbnb who will investigate.

Please leave an honest review about the damage and the state the property was left in.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If the guest has damaged the hob, then follow the process on Airbnb for claiming guest damages @Catherine468 . Contact the guest with photo/video evidence and an estimate for the cost of replacement.  If they don't reply or refuse, raise with Airbnb who will investigate.

Please leave an honest review about the damage and the state the property was left in.

Thanks Helen, I'm wary about having raised this - and leaving a negative review - as the two men who stayed here were a bit scary looking and know where I live, obviously.  Anyway the lead guest has refused to pay, saying he and his friend never used the cooker or the hob. They must have dropped something, or put something down heavily on it, though for it to crack. So I've referred it back to airbnb. 

Catherine468
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Does anyone know how long it takes airbnb to resolve these issues? I referred the matter to airbnb two days ago and have not heard back. Meanwhile I have a cracked electric hob which is unusable and therefore I can't accept any further bookings on airbnb while it is in a state of disrepair.