Guest left a property after 3 days wanting a full refund

Steven1389
Level 2
Quarteira, Portugal

Guest left a property after 3 days wanting a full refund

We just had a guest leave a property after 3 days complaining of construction noise. On Day 2 of their stay we had not received any complaint. In the afternoon, they asked for the pool heating to be switched on. The price for pool heating is shown on the listing and we informed them of this. Within an hour of informing them, the complaints started. On Day 3 they just left.

There was no construction noise, just birds singing. We also had a guest staying in the house opposite that had a great stay. Airbnb 'investigated' the issue. We even asked Airbnb to contact the guest who was staying at the house opposite. It seems they did not do it.

Despite sending  pictures of the property and surrounding area, Airbnb concluded there was construction noise and will issue a 90% refund to the guest. The booking was never cancelled and so we had many nights where the property sat empty. 

I am now substantially out of pocket, but Airbnb will not discuss the case anymore. 

Does anyone know what further actions I can take as their conclusion is completely wrong.

9 Replies 9
Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Steven1389  from what I've heard, you need to just keep contacting them, calmly state your case, send in the photos again, and keep trying until you get someone who understands. 

I will. Thks

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Steven1389 You have many listings. Which property got the complaint? I just want to visit that specific listing. 

Hello Gwen, the property is Casa da Calma. 

The link is here:

Casa da Calma - Villas for Rent in Vale do Lobo, Algarve, Portugal - Airbnb

Thks for looking

@Steven1389 Thanks for the link. Very lovely property.

Is there any construction, building, remodeling, excessive loud noises going on anywhere within 5 miles of the villa? I just don’t understand a guest stating construction noise and then airbnb giving any kind of refund without concrete proof. But, there are so many scam stories on here about guests getting refunds. 

I agree with others. Keep calling non-stop. This refunding guests for no valid reason is nonsense!

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I suspect there are so many of these sort of issues where the agent just doesn't get it, the likes of @Catherine-Powell's in-tray must be overflowing, and then some. Keep at it, @Steven1389.

Thks for reply.

What a great process! So I can see in Transactions that an adjustment has now been made. 3500 euros removed!

Having sent messages to Airbnb all weekend and got zero response (not great customer service), I called Airbnb this morning. I ask to make a formal complaint about the way the issue was investigated. But I cannot, as I'm told the case is still open, even though payments to me for new arrivals have now ceased! I'm told I need to speak to the guy who requested the issue and then inform him that I need to speak with his supervisor.

But I have been sending messages to him since Friday evening, immediately after he made his decision and I get no reply.

What great service! Calling AIrbnb is a waste of time.

I also just received a review from the guest, so I guess he just got his refund.

No other OTA acts like this.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Steven1389

I'm sorry to hear you've struggled to get the help you need so far. I'll raise this on my end for you and if I get any more info, I'll let you know!

Thanks, 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

No payments from arrivals at weekend Four arrivals on Wednesday and payments stopped. Part of me wonders why I should even meet them as may not get paid.

Thank you for any assistance.