Guest repairs dryer without asking and sends a money request after we leave a bad review.

Forest8
Level 2
Destin, FL

Guest repairs dryer without asking and sends a money request after we leave a bad review.

Upon check-in received a message that said we got here, and everything looks fine. Forty-four hours later, we received a message complaining about a pizza that got wet from dripping water from a freezer. (I imagine the freezer was left open and thawed.) I think the copy and paste would be better to tell the rest of the store to repair our dryer and send a money request.

Then after posting my review last night, I received this money request.

Requesting $11.73 to cover parts for the dryer vent duct repair (see receipt). Requesting $15 in labor for dryer vent duct repair. Requesting $21 for a Merlin's large lasagna pizza ruined by the fridge leak (see image). Total is $47.73.

After the threat of a bad review, I stopped communicating with the guest. As you can see, they went to Home Depot, bought parts, and repaired our dryer. Now they are sending me a bill after a bad review.

Here is the review I left.

February 2021

I am sure Rena is a great person, but she did not completely read our listing or the house manual that clearly states if you have an issue, give us a chance to resolve it. The guest sent a message the first night when they arrived. Everything looked fine. Then 44 hours later, a message came with 4 complaints with a disclaimer they want a refund or will leave a negative review. We asked the guest to cancel their stay and instructions on how to do so. At this point, we stopped communicating until check out day, and it appeared the guest completed their 5-night stay. 

Forest

Joined in 2015

Am I wrong to assume this guest had no authorization to touch or repair anything at our house without asking first and then asking for reimbursement and labor?  Any help would be appreciated how I should deal with this money request.

**[Private conversation removed in line with Community Center Guidelines]

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Forest8  You are correct, the guest had no right to undertake repairs without consulting the host, nor purchase parts to do so, then demanding that you reimburse them.

It could have gone quite differently if they had let you know about the dryer, said they could easily repair it themselves with an inexpensive part and would be happy to do so, in which case you might have taken them up on it, paid for the part at that time, and all would be well.

I would just ignore their money request. And if Airbnb hassles you, point out the guest's extortion threat.

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

@Forest8- That is crazy, what guest would ever think they had any business touching or trying to repair a dryer which was YOUR property? The thing to do would simply have been to contact the host and report the dryer was broken, that is even if they had authority to use the dryer in the first place.  In my house I do *not* offer laundry facilities and the basement area containing our laundry room is strictly off limits to guests.  As @Sarah977 said, I would ignore this request. 

The guest is also technically violating the extortion clause of the review regulations by stating he will leave a bad review unless he is paid money.  I would call AirBNB about that and report the profile, that is completely unacceptable for a guest to do something like that to a host.