Guest scheduled to arrive tomorrow/no response from Guests

Guest scheduled to arrive tomorrow/no response from Guests

Hello Everyone,

I currently have a guest that is scheduled to arrive tomorrow Aug. 30th. I have tried numerous times to contact the guest via text and and email using the AirBnB platform. The last response that I have received from this guest was Sat. Aug. 15th. Since that time I have sent 2 additional texts ( they were opened) and 3 additional emails via the Airbnb platform and still no response from the guest. I have engaged Airbnb customer support to assist me in contacting the guest and Airbnb also responded that this guest has not responded to them (Airbnb) either. I have sent Airbnnb customer support another email chat over 2 hours ago and they still  haven't responded. Any and all suggestions as to how to proceed would be appreciated.  I am  seriously  now getting a bit uncomfortable with this reservation. Since I never received the additional guests name, additional deposit(per the guest suggestion)  and our signed rental agreement, we did not send this guest our directions or security code. They may have a general idea as to where we live but based on the above information what are my options here, if any?  Thank you! 

23 Replies 23

@Mike-And-Jane0  We do not demand a signed rental agreement, we require it to rent our property in addition to the house rules. As mentioned above, we been been hosting over 8 years and this is in place to not only protect our guests but us as well and our property. I have never had no one NOT sign our rental agreement. The deposit is due because the guest is bringing  an ESA animal and it was the suggestion of the guest to pay an additional deposit for damages. 

@Ellie331 I only ask because I didn't think these things were allowed. It will be interesting to see what the guest does if you refuse them entry due to them not complying.

@Mike-And-Jane0 

A couple things...They weren't truthful about the additional deposit that I required (their suggestion) It took over 6 hours to clear up that issue. I was told  (by the guest) it was paid and when I finally got ahold of AirBnb,  I was told that she never accepted or declined and never paid the deposit. She continued to tell me it was paid and that would suffice for the rental agreement. I politely mention to her that I have not received any confirmation of the deposit as  she had 72 hours to accept or decline the additional monies from when I submitted it on Aug. 15th.  I mentioned to Airbnb & the guest  that I would not allow them access until I received confirmation of the deposit and that would have to be taken care of before I would give them a security code. I finally received confirmation (phone call and email ) that it was paid @ 8Pm.

They were due to arrive at 7pm but proceeded to tell me because of all the run around with AirBnB they would be arriving even later and asked me to give her access to the property. I said, we will wait for you to arrive as I still need you to sign our rental agreement and give you the code.  They arrived at 10pm. They knew about the additional rental agreement over two weeks prior to their arrival. There was no communication by the traveler since Aug. 15th and I had sent her 2 texts and 3 emails asking if they were committed to the stay and AirBnB even reached out to her and sent her a couple of emails to find out what their  intentions were. No response!

I  believe that they were hoping I would cancel them due to the lack of communication on their part, did not like the deposit amount and didn't like our house rules or rental agreement...I chose not to cancel them to see how it would all play out. I also knew that she is an avid Airbnb-er and she is very well versed on policies and procedures and maybe even has some connections with the company.  This is a prime week here in Montana and I knew they would not be able to find another place within that price range or in the desired area. 

I was contacted yesterday morning saying I'm sorry, while we were floating the river Aug. 15th my phone was cracked and wet and it just now dried up. I mentioned to her that computers are accessible  to check your emails and I hadn't heard from you since Aug. 15th...hummm no response to that statement. Then I'm told that she would be arriving with her boyfriend instead of her sister, as that was in the original inquiry...So a lot of things did not add up for me... Some untruths that were exposed from the original inquiry to some untruths that unfolded on the day of arrival. 

They did not want to meet us...that was obvious and they were both very nervous when they got out of the car. We just treated them like we would treat any other guest. 

This is what I learned...trust your gut/instinct it is almost always right! Keep a tight paper trail of all communications...screen shot if you need...stand your ground... don't give in to the third party people that you talk to on AirbnB...they can't help you in most  situations and just pass the buck... do your own research and reach out to the hosting community if you need help...it is your home and property and it is our responsibility to ensure the safety of  us as owners, our property and our  guests.   

I also ensure that my guests know that I will be sending them an additional rental agreement once they book with me so they are aware and  can cancel at that time if they do not want to sign the agreement. In 8 years, I have had only 1 person cancel because of the rental agreement and quite frankly, I'm glad because they would not be a good fit too stay here anyways! 🙂 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

This deposit confuses me. How are you getting this from the guest? Did you request the money through the resolution center?

@Emilia42  You can request or send money to your guest on the AirBnB platform. Click on your guests name scroll down and you will see the like to submit for additional monies. 

@Ellie331  You can request such a payment, but Airbnb will not enforce it on your behalf if the guest refuses, nor are they likely to exempt you from host cancellation penalties if you choose to cancel on this basis. 

I would have to wonder, if your use of Airbnb needs to be supplemented by off-the-books contracts and payments, is it really the right platform for you? Seems so much easier to choose a listing service that gets the deposit upfront. 

@Anonymous  The deposit happened because the guest suggested it...

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

So the guests, girl and boyfriend with emotional support dog, arrived and you got them to sign the agreement and what did you do about the fee for the dog?  Calling it a deposit through some of us off, but sounds like you are requiring a pet fee.  Is it all sorted out now?

AirBnB called it a security deposit! @Linda108  I submitted it as a "trip related issue" at either rate it is secured for their stay.