Guests leaving wax stains

Sarah5248
Level 2
Golden Point, Australia

Guests leaving wax stains

Hello community,

I am hoping to get some advice about what to do in the instance of guests leaving wax stains on my [ high quality ] linen, electric blanket and carpet.

They were young and really nice however this is going to take a huge amount of time to remove and may leave permanent stains.

If things are permanently stained, how do you even go about getting guests to pay for replacement of the items, and if I manage to get the stains out, does the platform allow me to charge additional cleaning fees or do I have to just approach them and request- leaving it up to whether or not they feel like it?

This isn't the first experience of guests leaving wax stains.

I think I'll now make it part of my house rules to not allow candles in the space and notify that wax stains will be charged for removal.

Thanks

Sarah

19 Replies 19
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Sarah5248 

It would be best to make a claim with the guest for payment to replace or repair and yes, you can often charge for extra cleaning if you can prove extra cleaning was required.

Here is where you can make a claim.

https://airbnb.com/resolutions

David

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sarah5248 timing is everything here. Leave an honest review and hope the guest reviews you quickly. Then claim under Aircover as suggested by @Dave-and-Deb0 . Doing it the other way around will guarantee a bad review.

My next suggestion is that you remove any candles you may supply and, as you say, make a no candle rule. Finally we have reduced the quality and hence cost of our linen. We started with 400TC cotton and have reduced this to 180TC cotton. No negative reaction whatsoever and it makes the cost of replacement more affordable. Linen is, in many hosts opinion, a consumable item that will get stained and it feels wrong that this is claimed every time it needs replacing.

Wouldn't a guest not want a review saying they accidentally spilled candle wax? I guess I assumed, perhaps incorrectly?, that insurance claims (at least under a certain amount) are never communicated to a guest, so that as far as they know, small accidents rather than obvious malicious acts, would not reflect negatively on guests since all humans experience gravity and forgetfulness now and then. I do sincerely hope this is the case because I want guests who were doing their best to have positive feelings about AirBnB and our hosting too. 

(For example, if a candle falls over left burning while asleep who escape in time for their lives or left and a home is destroyed that the damage is so large it merits investigation so insurance company would surely interview those who were involved before paying a substantial sum of any damage covered)

I agree with no candles as much as I enjoy genuine candlelight...even limiting guests to 'Experienced AirBnb Guests Only' we have no way of knowing if something in their life changed and they are not at their best...inebriated/under the influence etc. So I feel better for the sake of everyone's safety and our property using battery operated and electrically operating candles/string lights etc. 

Fire pits are a bit of a conundrum for us, it's great to have a fire to sit by in winter...yet we live in the woods...when drugs like alcohol are involved a simple laugh and push can lead to someone getting a burn in a fire or worse...a neighborhood heavily forested like ours on fire...yet a fire pit is a perfect addition to a rural woodland stay...toastng marshmallows...I figure I may just remove firepit during Burn Ban Periods...i.e. most of summer and surprise guests with the option on any days we happen to get that have recently had heavy rains...everyone has different comfort levels with risk I guess. Important to me is that I provide multiple 5 gallon buckets of water to make it easy to put out fires and anything that were to escape from fire pit. We lived in a county that required nearby water sufficient to put out current fire so I got used to the bother. 

@John7196 Many people think that claims go to Aircover and not the guest however the process always requests money from the guest first. As such little things like towels, sheets etc really are not worth claiming for.

Also Aircover for damage is not an insurance policy so, if it pays at all, it only pays a depreciated amount and it is pretty important that you have receipts for the items in question which many people won't have.

"AirCover for damage ins not an insurance policy" yikes that's good to know...I have wanted to avoid a security deposit to cover any damaged linens in particular simply to make it easier for guests...though I've never had a problem with holds for deposits since I know I'm likely not to have damaged anything as a guest. 

We have an encasement on the mattress that is water and bug proof so linens would be the obvious damage risk for us. Given that we have a non-smoking policy (by live in a high rate nicotine use area, though not as much as I saw at the beach in NC).

That reimbursement goes to guests is very helpful to us to know...could affect the budget for certain, i.e. the cost to replace items and the quality of the items we purchase...we already purchased most everything but...wanted to share here to help others too...all very helpful thank you for that comment. 

@Sarah5248 @John7196 

Fire pit conundrum - definitely. A fire pit and any sparks from any fire are so dangerous here that we don't go near that idea. Host would have to be present to supervise at all times, for safety, even if insurance and local ordinance would permit, which they do not for us. Wisely, I might add. 

If they were any less sweet and lovely, I'd have no problem with taking it up with them. I'm keen to cultivate positive experiences all round with guests and it bothers me to get a less than 5 star rating as it takes so many 5 star ratings to recover from a negative review.

There are no candles supplied in my space so they are bringing their own [ presumably it's a kink?! ].

That's an interesting point about the bedding.. I have bought top of the line linen and the best electric blanket on the market to make the bed a really luxe experience and so, this being the case,  it's a big deal for me if the linen is stained and wrecked. The wax has gone through the sheet into the electric blanket and it's going to take ages to get off, iff it does at all. Will definitely be reducing the quality of the linen going forward. 

John7196
Level 2
Van Buren, AR

New host so guessing here. a. Keep proof of payment for any receipts to attempt to repair damage b. If repair fails keep proof of payment for replacement costs. 

c. Learn any minimum claim for AirBnB insurance. 

We did not choose to take security deposits/hold money for damages/stolen items/accidental items taken with them but not returned  because we figure we can file an AirBnB insurance claim. However, if there is a minimum that could be challenging if new linens cost less than any minimums. 

@John7196 Aircover has no minimums and no deductibles hence some hosts do make silly inconsequential claims. Replacement cost is not always relevant as it pays on a depreciated basis so original cost (and when bought) is very important.

Depreciated basis is helpful to know, I really appreciate that info. 

Just bought nearly everything new and giving it a try...saved a lot when I was able to leave our area for better thrift stores. 

The no minimum is welcome news...as we don't have anything but the rental itself that is particularly expensive...I suppose the bed/linens being the next priciest..

@John7196 One other thought. Running a short term rental usually invalidates your house insurance even when guests are not staying. Aircover only pays if the guest is at fault so an electrical wiring fire would not be covered. Basically it is essential to have insurance for the house that covers Airbnb usage.

You two are great at shortening our new host learning curve, thank you UK!

@Sarah5248 

We have a no open flames policy, indoors and out. It is a high risk of a fire, and we're avoiding that as much as possible. No candles is not a huge burden on guests. Our guests totally understand. 

May I suggest that if you say no candles, you not say you'll charge for cleaning up wax? That to me is like saying No smoking and then post a fine for smoking. That seems to me that smoking is OK if you pay extra, and seems to invite rule breaking.  Just my opinion!

A no open flames policy seems like a sensible idea.

I'm reticent to come off too heavy handed in the guest information as the vast majority of people are respectful and lovely.

People are clearly bringing their own candles though and the melted wax is always on the bed [ if you know what I mean ].