Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Host Promised a Refund

Answered!
Bryan803
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

Host Promised a Refund

We recently booked an AirBnB which was non refundable after a certain point and understood this. A situation came up unexpectedly that landed me with a serious medical problem. With it being just a week away from the reservation I requested we potentially change the dates, the host refused to change the dates. The host then did promise (and I have it in writing) that we could cancel and she'd refund the amount she gets back when people re-book the home. I saw her schedule is now completely full. The host is a ghost and won't respond to any messages or honor her word. AirBnB says they cannot force them to do anything. Has there been a remedy to a situation like this in the past or is this a "learning experience" on how AirBnB works?

Top Answer

Hi @Bryan803 

It could be that the Airbnb CS agents can see that the host was in fact unable to rebook the dates.  Were they able to confirm or deny this?  I am sorry to hear that you had a medical issue.  I have non-refundable on my listings and this is usually the only time I will not refund as the guest receives an additional discount when you choose that option.  It is always a good thing to purchase travel insurance, especially if you are booking something that is non-refundable.  I hope that, if the host did in fact book the dates and assure you that they would refund you if the dates get booked, she does the right thing and refunds you.  

I wish you all the best!

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Experienced Co-Host

View Top Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Bryan803 I would approach Airbnb and ask them to call the host. I hope your agreement was on the Airbnb messaging system - If so then at least Airbnb can see that the host is being disingenuous. 

I’ve tried trice and two Airbnb reps have reached out to the host, with my evidence from the Airbnb chat. Both times they said they can’t do anything. This is very disappointing.

Hi @Bryan803 

It could be that the Airbnb CS agents can see that the host was in fact unable to rebook the dates.  Were they able to confirm or deny this?  I am sorry to hear that you had a medical issue.  I have non-refundable on my listings and this is usually the only time I will not refund as the guest receives an additional discount when you choose that option.  It is always a good thing to purchase travel insurance, especially if you are booking something that is non-refundable.  I hope that, if the host did in fact book the dates and assure you that they would refund you if the dates get booked, she does the right thing and refunds you.  

I wish you all the best!

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Experienced Co-Host

Mar125
Level 10
California, United States

@Dave-and-Deb0 

great answer. i suspected the same. probably can’t get rebooked.

Mar125
Level 10

@Bryan803 

that means your agreement wasn’t really solid. 

Mar125
Level 10

@Bryan803 

Call airbnb again and tell Airbnb you are gonna dispute the credit card charges. 

shall be helped by Airbnb if you have airbnb messages showing this mutual agreement. 

It could be that the host doesn’t have any new reservations. the color of calendar will be different if it’s vacant but blocked by host.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The fact is the host is not compelled to refund the guest money and Airbnb is not compelled to force the host to comply with a personal agreement with the guest. This all really falls under the fairness (and integrity) aspect of the individuals involved.

We happen to be of the 'rebook to another day' or 'we will refund the amount we make from another guest on those days' camps.