Host is requesting money for damages that where not caused by me

Host is requesting money for damages that where not caused by me

Hi, this is related to my  most recent stay, which was in Florence Italy. On arrival we noticed a few issues and reported the more serious ones directly to the on Whatsapp as that's where he contacted us on arrival. The issues were as follows:

- Approching the main entrance there were a number of very steap stairs with a high drop to which there was a number of loose tiles which could cause a serious hazard resulting in serious injury or death. We did not report this to him as it was a shared space at the accomadation and I had planned to report this to him immediately after our stay.

- The plug in the bath tub where the only shower was located was completely blocked meaning who could not have a shower on arrival and we reported this immediately as both myself and my partner really needed one which I think most people would consider as a basic amenity especially after traveling across Europe to the accommodation. We contacted the host and he said he was aware of the problem but could not get a plumber. We then had to unblock it ourself that meant we had to physically put our hand down blocked drains with other people hair dirt and worse to unblock enable to have a shower

- The downstairs fold-out bed was not big enough for 1 person to sleep comfortably never mind as stated that the accomadation could sleep 4 as described by the host.

- The Wifi although you could connect did not work at all. 

- The over all cleanliness of the property was not up to Air BnB standards.

- There was rubbish left outside in the hallway outside our entrance to the property

- The Locks to enter to property were extremely hard to use.

- There was a handle from a door C a bet that looked to have fallen off to which I saw and picked up the item and left ontop of the door

Above are just some of the issues noticed on our short 2-day stay and one the host is now accusing my partner and I of having stolen towels, shower gel, batteries and to have broken the small handle as mentioned above which by the way accessed part of the property we did not access. We are extremely honest people and would never take any items from any property including this one and to be accused of this is a complete shock and we are completely outraged by this accusation. Having looked over and reviewed the host's request to pay €455 for damages and items missing that had entirely nothing to do with my partner and myself is completely outrageous and we will not hesitate to proceed with legal proceedings if this is not cleared up. Furthermore, we will also not hesitate to take legal actions for defamation of our names if the host proceeds to take further action

2 Replies 2
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Chris19451I'm truly sorry to hear about the issues you encountered during your recent stay. Have you reached out to Airbnb Customer Support or the Host themselves to clarify this misunderstanding?

I hope your future travels are more comfortable and enjoyable!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

What a shame with so many key issues wrong with the listing that you didn't do as Airbnb advises you on your booking confirmation ie to contact the host via Airbnb regarding any issues where the listing is not advertised. Then if the host isn't willing or able to fix them you can ask Airbnb to cancel and help you find somewhere else @Chris19451 

What were the hosts previous reviews like?

What help are you looking for from this community of hosts and guests @Chris19451 

Screenshot your messages on what's app with the host where you raised all the issues you mention and their response. Respond politely and calmly point out any good previous reviews and that you didn't steal any of the items the host mentioned.