Host lying about broken AC and no reply after we reported have to leave early the next morning

Wendy1816
Level 1
Northbrook, IL

Host lying about broken AC and no reply after we reported have to leave early the next morning

We booked a single family house for our family summer trip in Toronto, CA. from 7/7/2024 to 7/11/2024. 

Unfortunately, upon arrival, we discovered that the air conditioning was not working at all. On our way driving to the unit on 7/7 at 3:32 pm, the host suddenly sent a message saying:” Hi! were just letting you know its been very hot outside in Toronto these past few days. We have someone dropping by to improve the performance on our AC for tomorrow to make sure its nice and cold for your stay. I will keep you posted on a time frame that they would be dropping by tomorrow.”

While when we arrived, we realized the air condition is not "needs improvement" but not working at all. All the windows were opened by host before we arrive to keep the room temperature low but it doesn’t work instead getting many bugs and mosquitos inside. The outside temperature is around 22 degrees Celsius while inside the first floor is 26-27 degrees Celsius and upper level is even higher. We also checked the outside fan of the AC unit it completed stopped working. 

We notified the host immediately at 7:39 pm. No reply at all and we have to notify Airbnb. At 0:02 am the host replied but didn’t mention anything about the air conditioning. At that time it is already very late and hot inside the house. We explained the situation and send the pictures to the host, then another co-host called at 0:30 around in mid night asking us to open face time so that they can instruct us to fix the issue. We did it but in the next 30 minutes, the co-host can’t fix the issue and even asked my husband to go downstairs to look into the AC unit there, even asked to check the filter for them, when it is already 1:00 am on 7/8. Then around 2:30 am while we were all tired and slapping, they sent another message saying the problem was solved and the outside fan is working.

The next morning at 8:13 am we checked the issue was not resolved and everything stays the same. We were forced to find alternative accommodation after barely staying one tough and hot night. We have kids and senior parents traveling with us and everyone felt extremely tired and uncomfortable.

We believe this situation warrants a full refund. While after talking with Airbnb team for a few days, they said they can only refund 30% of the first night plus the nights we didn't stay. We thought this is not reasonable. If that's the case, all hosts can do it like this as long as the guest stays here just one night, no matter how they are trapped inside, the host got paid. 

We have all the photos of the malfunctioning air conditioning unit, inside temperature on 7/7 and 7/8 early morning, and our communication with the host. We also have the full videos that the host requested us to do face time and check the unit for them (doing their job) around 1 am in mid night. All the evidences were already provided during our previous communication, and can be provided again upon request.

Can anyone suggest what to do fort he next steps? 

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Wendy1816 I would offer just the cleaning fee so that the host isn't out of pocket for your 1 night stay.

If the host can reply to us earlier or tell the truth the AC is broken, not "needs improvement", we won't even stay for one night over there. I have recorded the "face time talk" around 1 am in the morning with the host. In the end when my husband asked why they don't tell the truth, and why they asked the guest to do their job during the mid night, he can not reply at all. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Y_qmD3vmk&t=14s