Hosting entire place - what can I do with my cats!?

Jaclyn107
Level 2
Nyack, NY

Hosting entire place - what can I do with my cats!?

I have two indoor/outdoor cats. I'm in the process of getting my home ready to rent for long weekends starting in October. My human family and dog can easily stay somewhere else for the weekend, but what can I realistically do with my cats? They *hate* going in the carrier, and transporting them back and for each weekend I imagine would stress them out massively. 

Has anyone been in a similar situation and figured out how to handle it?

2 Replies 2
Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Jaclyn107 

I'm not sure what options you are considering, but I would not leave my cats at the Airbnb if I were in your position. Guests could be allergic, they could behave in a way that stresses the cats, or (as happens at my listing from time to time) they could bring unannounced dogs along. There would certainly be a significant risk that the cats could just take off and leave.

I understand why you ask the question - cats generally don't want to go along as dogs do, so your weekend trips may be no fun for them either. But leaving them behind with strangers will be very stressful on them as well. I think it's safe to say the cats would vote against the whole Airbnb thing ...

Hi Jaclyn,

It sounds like a bit of a challenge, but many hosts manage similar situations with pets. Here are a few approaches you might consider for your cats:

1. Pet-Friendly Arrangements: Some guests don’t mind the presence of cats, especially if they’re indoor/outdoor cats who might not be around much. You could make your Airbnb listing pet-friendly and clearly state the presence of your cats. This way, guests who are allergic or don’t prefer pets can avoid booking, and those who enjoy them won't mind.

2. Dedicated Cat Area: If possible, designate a specific part of your home (like a basement, laundry room, or a guest room) where the cats can stay comfortably with all their needs—like food, water, litter box, and some toys—while guests are there. Make sure this area is comfortable and secure, and communicate to guests that this area is off-limits.

3. Temporary Pet Sitting: Consider hiring a pet sitter who can either come to your home to care for the cats or host them at their place. This could reduce the stress on your cats compared to moving them back and forth. Apps and websites like Rover can connect you with pet sitters in your area.

4. Stay with Friends or Family: If the cats are comfortable in a particular friend or family member’s home, and it's not too inconvenient, this could be a good option for the weekends when you have guests.

Choosing the best option depends on your cats’ personalities and how they might adjust to each scenario. It might take some trial and error to figure out what works best for them.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Upfish Management