Hot tub - liability / water management

Henry551
Level 1
United Kingdom

Hot tub - liability / water management

Hello, I am listing a property and have recently had a hot tub installed, and the installation engineer implied that we needed to attend a bishta course and be testing daily otherwise you are liable for things such as legionnaires. 

I was planning on having my cleaner who handles the changeovers to put the relevant chemicals in prior to guests arriving. We are then going to have a professional company change the water monthly / bi monthly. 

would love some thoughts 😊

5 Replies 5
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Henry551   We also looked at putting in a hot tub and decided against it due to extensive requirements when they are utilised within a holiday let.  Amongst the many requirements are that they need testing twice a day, records are to be kept on this,  there is a document HSG282 which will advise you comprehensively what the requirements are but I also understand that they need draining and refilling at turnovers which is not only time consuming but the water may not have had enough time to heat up in time for the next guests stay.

We were advised of this when it was installed by the engineer, but I cannot see anywhere on the bishta paperwork that refers to Airbnbs, just holiday chalets. I have been in airbnbs previously with a hot tub for example and have not hand a host coming in to treat the water twice a day. There are enough listings with hot tubs that surely imply this is not applicable to Airbnb as such? I would have also thought Airbnb would advise If this was applicable? 

Fiona256
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Airbnb is a listing platform. Properties advertised on it are subject to the same legislation as those listed elsewhere. So what applies to holiday chalets also applies to your property. Why would you think otherwise?

Hi Fiona, I am new to this and just taking first bookings so still getting to grips with everything applicable. I have since spoken to BISHTA and they say the information alongside HG282 are guidelines and not legally enforceable as such, however if something went wrong you may be in trouble liability wise for not recording / following the guidelines. Will be talking to the technical advisor to find out more information as to how most Airbnb hosts follow the guidelines. 

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Henry551    You may find the following of interest.. it also gives you a link to the Governments Health & Safety Executives requirements.   This is for Hot Tubs used commercially… Which an Airbnb is.  I would suggest you do a bit more research. 

https://www.whatspa.co.uk/hot-tub-regulations-for-holiday-lets/