How To Review Guest Who Took all Snacks And Drinks

Patricia3334
Level 7
Tennessee, United States

How To Review Guest Who Took all Snacks And Drinks

I allow 1 night stays and I just had a guest (one night) take all the complimentary drinks from the fridge (between 6 to 8. I didn't count.) and all the snacks and fruit. They were all more than he could eat and drink in a night unless he was literally starving and had nothing else to eat and drink. I find it rude and tacky. That is not what they are there for. They are complimentary!

Can I refuse to host him again? Should I say something in the review?

I know this is not a big theft monetarily but I do not put out snacks and drinks for 1 guest to take all of them home. I spend a lot of money on coffee, a nice tea selection, International delight creamers, hot cocoa selection, a selection of snack bars and fresh fruit as well as sodas in the fridge and some guests leave drinks themselves. 

I do not want him back for fear he'll steal something more next time. Also, it's tacky and rude.  

I don't want to get a bad review from him but I want other hosts to know what to expect.

59 Replies 59

@Patricia3334 

In my mind, "complimentary" means that the snacks are free of charge, for the paying guest to enjoy, like hotel soaps and toiletries. It would seem that if I had one guest for one night, I'd likely limit the amount of freebies available. There is always a chance that any of the guests might take them all, as a gift, included in the price of the reservation. They might be enjoyable on the road, as lunch on the way home, etc. Unless it is a pay per item bar or fridge, folks tend to take everything provided in a hotel or motel room. I do leave a good supply of such things so that a guest has a choice, and if one of the coffee beans bags, the oj, yogurt, soda, chocolates, left with a guest, I'd not be insulted. Just leave the French Press, please. I'd chalk it up to cost of doing business, and enjoy the fun of shopping for more goodies and treats for the guests. 

I see your point but "one" of the things didn't leave. They all left with one person (about 12 items). I think taking one or two bars or a drink is ok but he took them all. To me that is not ok.

I completely agree with You. I supply lots of goodies to my guest. It’s a standard for one for all if I know there’s more than one person then I add a little more and I’m hoping that they take it all. It’s part of my hospitality.

Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

It's tacky, but I wouldn't knock them down for it. Assume that whatever you leave could be taken by any one stay. So if you wish to limit what's available, provide less.

If you don't want to host him again, feel free to check that box, but I wouldn't mention it in a review, as it will likely just make you seem petty.

If it bothers you, you could always mention in private feedback that you were disappointed to find all of the complimentary snacks missing and that you'd provided a variety to choose from, with the intention that they would just take one. (Not everyone comes from the same place on this issue.)

I see your point but how do I know what they like or dislike? That is why I, trying to be thoughtful, leave several choices. 

Lenore22
Level 10

That's very thoughtful of you @Patricia3334 . I just edited my response to include some wording for private feedback, if you want to inform them how you were disappointed. It is likely that they didn't mean to offend you. (Your reply and my edit crossed paths in the ether) 😉

Yes, I like your amended comment and the wisdom in being careful not to appear petty as it seems I am. LOL. 

I don't charge a lot like some folks and I have a nice place that is private with me upstairs.

I am more than happy to let each person eat as much as they like while they are here but......food is not cheap these days and replacing snack bars adds up. I guess I'm being nit-picky. I need to think on this more.

Lenore22
Level 10

We adjust what we put out for guests based on the number of guests registered with the assumption that they will take it all. (This is like your snack items: microwave popcorn, trail mix, some chocolate, and we leave what we figure is enough based on the group#) 

We do leave oatmeal packets, breakfast cereals and some canned soups, but it's not something we promise, so sometimes people have used it all before we replace it and many times guests leave some behind, which we just leave for other guests as long as they are unopened.

In short, we've tried to provide only what we are willing to lose.

Lenore22
Level 10

Btw- I say this as one of those people that would take all the toiletries offered at hotels each day (eager for them to replace them each day), as I would bring them on trips where I was camping or give them to homeless people. I know some people think of it as tacky and I never thought of it as stealing (I never took a robe or slippers or towels), but I did love hotel soaps, shampoos and moisturizers.

I agree but hotels are big corps and Airbnb's are run by individuals. I think hotels expect it. I never felt it was tacky to take small stuff like that.  New thought for me: do you think Airbnb hosts should expect it, too?  I am new to this - only about 6 months.

Lenore22
Level 10

Expect it.  😉

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Patricia3334 

No, we are not hotels. However, we are in the hospitality business. Many guests will not see the difference. If you leave things out for guests, be prepared for some of them (even if they are a minority) to help themselves to all of these.

Either factor it into your nightly rate or only leave out what you are happy for them to take. Sure, I get it that you are leaving a selection because some guests prefer this, others prefer that. However, if you leave it there for them, I really do not think you can chastise them in the review (nor the private feedback) for taking it. That is giving out very mixed messages. Did you tell them to help themselves to some, but not all, of it? If not, which rule have they broken?

I leave out much more than I would expect one guest or group of guests to use, and most use very little of it. Occasionally, you get a guest who will help themselves to as much as they can. It's annoying to be sure. However, you have already inadvertently given them permission to do this. It also tends to balance out as most guests don't use/take that much.

I try not to get offended unless guests use/take what is not offered to them, e.g. my own personal items. For sure, use the shampoo, conditioner and body wash I left out but don't take my towels etc.

Patricia3334
Level 7
Tennessee, United States

Very good and wise reply. thanks

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Patricia3334  Technically, it isn't stealing, but it is extremely rude and tacky.  You could say something in the review like 'XX appeared to enjoy every item, snack and amenity in the listing during his one night stay'...it's vague but easy for a host to read between the lines.  I would probably limit how much stuff I left in the unit for single night stays going forward.