How should I write feedback when guest is not good?

Answered!
Nancy344
Level 3
Kincardine, Canada

How should I write feedback when guest is not good?

I had 2 sets of guests this weekend where I counted the minutes until they left. The first set was actually here 6 days. She came in with an attitude and a chip on her shoulder and I thought if I was extra nice and extra accommodating to her allergies and all the rest of whatever she was sour about, it might help get the stick out of her *bleep*. Nope. She pulled out this morning without so much as a thank you or a text saying she was leaving. Throughout the week when I happened to see her I would ask friendly general questions, like, "what events are you attending today?" (it was a big festival week in my town). Her answer was, " lots of stuff." She said it with a scowl then got in her car and drove away.

The second set of guests broke rules. They either snuck someone in to use one of my spare rooms at night, or they used it themselves and went back into their own room at some point. The day before I had a guest leave room #2 so I stripped it down. I know exactly how I left it. The lace curtains were drawn together, the fan was on the floor with the cord wrapped up nicely. When I went in the next morning the curtains were fully pulled back and the fan was plugged in sitting on the window sill.  I asked the couple about it in the morning if they brought someone in. They denied it. Said the door was open so they opened the curtains to get air flow into their room kitty-corner across the hall. I said, "why would you open the curtains, put the fan in the window then close the door to your own bedroom and have your own curtains drawn closed?  Her story didn't add up. Plus they came in after drinking (because they left their car somewhere else) and it was past 1:00 am when they came in. I have no curfew but I feel violated by whatever they did that night and lied about the next morning.

I don't know how to leave a review for this couple. Either they were in the room or they let someone else in the house to sleep in that room, and I called them on it.  The probem is that I didn't see them in the room. It wasn't the other couple.  I don't know how to leave a review for the sour puss woman either.

Also, I don't want bad reviews from either of these guests because it takes so long to bring my rating up again. What do I do? I did alert airbnb about the first guest with the attitude before she came (as per a community member suggestion), because she came flying red flags all over the place. So at least something is on record.

Suggestions, please and thank you?

Nancy

1 Best Answer
City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

If you don't have a rule about when they can come in then they didn't break it.  People on vacation stay out late.  That's a thing.  You could post a quiet after 11 rule.

If you don't want them accessing an empty room just lock the door.  A fan in the window for ventilation sounds plausible to me.  Maybe they ran it for a half hour and then went to bed. If you were there to see that they had their door shut it seems quite unlikely that they snuck in an  extra guest without you knowing.  How does that work?  In at 1 and out at 6?  Leaving no trace?

The guest is not required to chat with you or even to smile at you.  Some people are introverts or on the spectrum and what seems easy and friendly to you is social torture or meaningless to them.

I wouldn't leave bad reviews unless they were rude, belligerent, destructive, egregiously noisy and intrusive . . .   just say they were sufficiently communicative about arrival time,  followed house rules and left the space in good condition.  If you don't recommend them to other hosts then don't put that line.  If you don't want them back give them a thumbs down   and block them.

View Best Answer in original post

29 Replies 29

Wow @Nancy344, what a long haul of stress over your guests. Getting a bad review from them is a toss as you are not sure what either will say. I suspect Guests #2, who moved the items in the room, may not give the best review as you did call them out.

First make sure you take a day or two to think about what you want to write.  Also make sure you have done a full inspection of the rooms to know that there is no missing items or damage.  I usually write a draft in WORD on the computer so I can read it, and make sure it is what I want to say before I hit the send button (then copay/paste to the Airbnb site).  If the guests were not horrible, but someone I would not want back, I usually start out with some positive and then end with a neutral or not so good. If either guests write you a negative review you can post a comment but again, don’t accuse or write a detailed rebuttal. Just sound like a good host and state your comment. You can play the wait and see game and if they do not post a review, post your reviews on the last day near the end.

If guest # 1 Grumpy-pant did not break any house rules and left the room clean then I would be neutral on the review.

“Grumpy-pants” was a guest for ? days. While here she preferred to keep to herself and was self sufficient. I did my very best to accommodate all her request concerning her allergies and ? (other complaint) but I feel that I was unable to accommodate all her wants and needs. She may be better suited for a hotel where the staff can assist her.

I would give her a 2-3 for communication and a thumbs down.

Guest #2 Since they may have broken house rules, again, be neutral, but I would not write what you suspect. I just would say something like

? and ? had a short stay of ? days. They were polite and left their room neat and clean (if they did).  My place is has several guests at the same time and while there is no curfew, the late time returning may have been difficult for my other guests.  ? and ? might be better in a Airbnb that allows for more privacy.

I would private message Airbnb your suspicion on the extra guest or use of the room. Also thumbs down.

You don’t want to cause attention to bad reviews but as a host I would look at both of them and press the decline button.

Good luck!

Thank you Robert and Nancy. Yes, I think taking a few days is a good idea. I don't like to be a 'point finger' host or person. I may draft a review and hold it to the last day, as you suggested. I will be on vacation by that time and probably totally over the whole weekend. But I think it's important to have a neutral review, as you call it, rather than a negative one that draws attention. I never thought about the thumbs down button. I've never left a negative or neutral review.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

On the first I would say - 'X stayed with us for X days' and nothing more. For most hosts it will let them imagine the rest. In reality what else can you say, Airbnb doesn't have a category for Personality (or lack of).

The 2nd is trickier, since it is more based on suspicions that you didn't find them a good guest.  Maybe I would write them also a similar 'dead-pan' (see above) review. 

Real good advice. The previous weekend I had 2 women stay, a daughter (55is and her mom). They had allergies and I went out of my way to make them alternative healthy breakfasts each morning. They loved what I made and thanked me for it. They seemed really friendly. Everything was fine and her review said, "good location." I hate taking these personally, but that one kind of hurt. Really? Good location? So I totally understand that it was a slight. 

@Nancy344  I prefer shorter stay guests that are not high maintence. The longer they stay, the more the reviews get picky about nothing. 

Public reviews:

Guests for 9 days: Very comfortable and excellent equipped house to make roasts

Gave me 4* on location and 4* on cleaning Stated Kitchen Table - Stained Kitchen His reply when asked where: old table many stains, it's a brand new Pottery Barn Table that's distressed looking.

Guests for 1 day two days later: It was an amazing experience! My family and I were amazed of how clean and beautiful was the house! It felt like our one home! Form the entrance all the way to the back yard was super clean! Definitely will be back again! Totally recommend this home!!! Thank you for the warm welcoming!

Gave me 5* across the board. 

Hi Letti. I understand the reason for reviews but I personally do not like them. Suddenly people become critics. I've read where people say the highest they give are 4 stars because they never give 5. They believe 5 stars means perfect and we are human so it can never be perfect. It's all subjective opinion, but people don't realize how it can hurt an otherwise really good host. 

I had a guest once say the bed wasn't as high as her bed at home, so she gave me a lower mark. Seriously? What?

@Letti0 I am so happy that I am not the only one that prefers the shorter stay guests. I have a couple of elderly Italian that is now just a week and are going to stay till the end of September. The lady is driving me nuts. She calls me every day asking me for something. I have hosted 42 times past 6 months and had 100% five stars feedback. Everybody loves my listing, my decorations and everything else, but this lady is changing everything around since the minute she stepped into the apartment. I am a SuperHost, the kind that takes guests around and shows the city. I make sure that my guests are feeling welcome. But right now, all I want is to see them out my place. I am not enjoying and I am concern that in the end, they will write me a bad review. I am not accepting any long stays again!

@Nancy344 @Bianca156 Benjamin Franklin said "Guests, like fish, begin to stink after three days." I joke, of course, but I do stick to shorter stays myself. If you don't mesh with a guest, a few weeks can feel like an eternity.

John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

@Nancy344  @Fred13 @Robert-And-Nancy0 

At risk of repeating myself, I LOVE the phrase "more suited to hotel industry," that I learned here on the forum.

I've adapted it to this:

Jack & Jill are nice folks, I'd guess. They don't seem to "get" the AirBnB community ethos.  Probably more suited to the less informal motel/hotel industry.

That should get the message across to future hosts while leaving the bad guests scratching their heads with nothing to complain about.

It's all about writing in code, & keep it short & sweet & never get personal. 

Don't forget the GREAT BIG . . .  wait for it . . .  THUMBS DOWN!

Thumbs up if you like a post.

Great advice on this forum. Love the phrase, "more suited to hotel industry."  I learn so much here. Thanks John.

Jan384
Level 3
Dübendorf, Switzerland

Wonderful idea :). Luckily we don't get too many guests like that, but your idea might come in handy :D.

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

You don't need to leave a review.

I want to leave a review, Mark. Sometimes it's important to voice things. Also important to do it in the right way.

John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

@Nancy344@Mark26@Fred13@Robert-And-Nancy0

And after enjoying the milk & cookies you can say to yourself, "I think I've changed my mind." and sit down and write the scathing review that you've always wanted to write that will will leave you completely satisfied and enjoying  a little bit of schadenfruede on the side.

"These guests, Jack & Jill, are about as clueless as guests can come, in my opinion. Host them at your own risk.  No consideration for others, no respect for my/your property, impolite, arrogant, a bit on the dull side of bright and DEFINATELY BETTER SUITED TO THE MORE INFORMAL MOTEL/HOTEL INDUSTRY".

How you like me now, Jack!