I got scammed whilst trying to book accommodation - Airbnb didn't help.

Answered!

I got scammed whilst trying to book accommodation - Airbnb didn't help.

Hey guys, 

I just wanted to gain some insight on a situation I’ve had the last month or so. I got scammed whilst trying to book accommodation, a false ad planted on the Airbnb app. Really well done, fake chat service etc.

My account has since been used to list around 20 false properties, mostly in Europe. Luckily I think I managed to cancel most of the bookings as I still had access to my account, saving thousands of dollars in lost money for fellow Airbnb users.

Now for the issue!
I requested help from Airbnb throughout this ordeal, via the support service. I received absolutely ZERO assistance, not one bit. This was after my experience of being scammed in the exact same method and having Airbnb tell me “they do everything in their power” to prevent these fraudulent listings. I find it so disappointing that they just provide lip service to us as hosts and users, when in fact do NOTHING to prevent these fraudulent listings!! 

Has anyone else been in this position? I’ve lost all confidence in Airbnb providing a safe platform to host and travel. 

Top Answer
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Scott1147 

Sorry to hear this happened to you.

I've clarified your post title a bit to try and encourage some attention and discussion.

I also thought I'd drop a couple of links related to fake listing issues here and here.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Top Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Scott1147 

Sorry to hear this happened to you.

I've clarified your post title a bit to try and encourage some attention and discussion.

I also thought I'd drop a couple of links related to fake listing issues here and here.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thank you Jenny!! 

I hope this does encourage conversation, it’s been a terrible experience with no assistance in shutting down these scams. All I’ve received is a emails from Airbnb saying nothing is wrong and then palming me off to someone else, I’m not sure it’s an actual person replying as they don’t address anything I say in my emails, likely AI.