I have a potential fraud charge on my credit card from airbnb - airbnb are of no help

I have a potential fraud charge on my credit card from airbnb - airbnb are of no help

My credit card has been used to make a reservation via airbnb, which is 'pending'.

AIRBNB * HMEFHDAEKB

I need to know if it is a charge for a future booking I have made, that I am unaware of was via airbnb.

I therefore need to know the airbnb location the booking references so I can check.

Having asked airbnb for the information, they basically refused...
I am therefore going to have to start a fraud claim via my credit card to access the info, which is totally unnecessary, and will likely mean having to cancel the credit card.

Why will airbnb not just provide support for potential fraud charges?

7 Replies 7
Kitty-and-Creek0
Top Contributor
Willits, CA

@Steve4342 

Do go to your credit card company. They will investigate, that is something they do well. 

As mentioned, I really just need t know 'IF' this is a fraud...

And as the charge is 'Pending' there is nothing the credit card company can do, until the charge is actually complete.

I have already spoken to them regrading this.

All airbnb need to do is let me know the hotel/b&b that made the charge, and I will then know if it is fraud, or not.

But they will not help...

Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

@Steve4342 

You should be able to see all the bookings that you have made on your Airbnb guest profile, with the corresponding booking reference. Check whether you have one with reference HMEFHDAEKB.

I have made no direct bookings with airbnb, but it may be one of the small hotels I have booked to stay with are using airbnb for their accounts...

That is why I need help from airbnb.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Steve4342 Hotels do not use Airbnb just for their accounts. As such if you have no direct bookings with Airbnb then the charge is fraudulent (or will be when/if it completes). Airbnb is right to take no action otherwise anybody could screw up anybody else's booking by calling and saying a booking is fraudulent. The best way of dealing with this is via your bank as others have said.

Actually, not true.

Small hotels do indeed us airbnb - try a search within airbnb yourself.

All airbnb need to do it let me know the name of the business that is associated with the booking.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Steve4342 I didn't say hotels don't use Airbnb I said they don't use them just for their accounts. When you find a hotel via Airbnb you book via Airbnb and you will find the booking in your trip record.