Italian Host Asking Us to Upload Passports to Non-Airbnb Site

Answered!
Kris56
Level 1
Eagle, CO

Italian Host Asking Us to Upload Passports to Non-Airbnb Site

Hello there - 

I have a host in Italy who has great reviews but they are asking us to upload our passports (our family of four is traveling) to their site and I am wondering if I am required to do that, or can't Airbnb (who I definitely know and trust) share the information? Their site looks totally legit but I know Airbnb doesn't want us communicating with hosts off the Airbnb platform and I honestly don't feel super comfortable sharing this very important info with a random site. I totally understand that the government needs the info - my question is more around what is Airbnb's guidance about uploading passports? I do not want to jepordize our reservation as we travel there on Sunday and don't want to have to rebook if they insist we upload them to their site. 

I truly appreciate any (QUICK 😁) help on this.

Thank you in advance!

1 Best Answer
Angela1056
Level 10
Linarolo, Italy

Ciao @Kris56 , as required by the Police department (Questura) in Italy you need to show your documents at check-in. You are not obliged to submit the documents in advance. The host has 24 hours from your arrival to send your ID data to the Questura. 
But you could agree to send your ID data (not the picture of your passports): name(s) as on the document, surname, date and place of birth, nationality, sex, kind of document, number of document and place of issue and residence and the host can  verify your data at arrival with your documents. It would make the check-in process easier, without stress and paperwork for the host.

Airbnb doesn’t give any information about you identity to the host.

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Angela1056
Level 10
Linarolo, Italy

Ciao @Kris56 , as required by the Police department (Questura) in Italy you need to show your documents at check-in. You are not obliged to submit the documents in advance. The host has 24 hours from your arrival to send your ID data to the Questura. 
But you could agree to send your ID data (not the picture of your passports): name(s) as on the document, surname, date and place of birth, nationality, sex, kind of document, number of document and place of issue and residence and the host can  verify your data at arrival with your documents. It would make the check-in process easier, without stress and paperwork for the host.

Airbnb doesn’t give any information about you identity to the host.

Grazie mille @Angela1056 😊