Items not for Guests Use

Gillian120
Level 4
Peachland, Canada

Items not for Guests Use

We rent out a spacious two-bedroomed suite which is on the lower floor of our house.  We have a beautiful pool table which is my husband's pride and joy and from bad experiences, we only let adults with no accompanying children use it and request a $50.00 deposit, which we clearly state in a photo of it and in agreement, emails, etc.

Guests with children still occasionally ask to use and it stresses me to have to say no, but would really upset hubby if I did so, especially as can sometimes hear the banging when someone is a particularly bad player. I would rather sell the pool table but that is going to happen.

My daughter says we should just say pool table not in use and leave it at that.  

What do others think?

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Gillian120  I don't understand. You say this is a guest suite. The pool table is in the guest suite? Anything in an entire self-contained guest suite should be available for guest use. If you don't want it used by certain groups, remove it from the unit.

Hi Sarah

Thanks for your reply but the suite is part of our house and only let during the summer and we use it the rest of the time.  Other people lock up or remove items in their suites they don't want guests to use but can't do that with a pool table. 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Gillian120 This will be an ongoing source of headaches for you. Since you can't remove the table, I would just indicate it isn't for guest use, period. Remove the accessories and keep the cover on it. Make sure to note that in your house rules and 'things to know' section, not just photos. Actually,  if restricting it altogether perhaps either remove the photo, or keep it and place a big ‘X’ over it.

@Gillian120 

I think the best option would be to move the pool table to an area where you can lock the door and limit physical access by guests and remove the photo as well. If this isn't possible, as @Colleen253 suggested, remove all accessories and place a difficult to remove cover with a big sign "Not for guest use" on it, and include this in house rules and listing description. 

If people see something, they will want to and try to use it. Doesn't matter if they are *allowed*.