Keep getting 1 month booking with some new profile from China.

Keep getting 1 month booking with some new profile from China.

Hello, 

I am a new host and I keep getting 1 month inquiry from Chinese guests. I keep denying because their profile is new and does not have any information. How do I avoid these possible scams? Also, by denying them will I be negatively impacted?

5 Replies 5
Kitty-and-Creek0
Top Contributor
Willits, CA

@Flavia-Lacerda0 

One idea would be to put a limit on the length of reservations. Do you prefer to have guests for a month, a week, a weekend? We have a 7 night maximum and thus do not get requests for a month from anyone. 

Poul-Winther0
Level 2
Aarhus, Denmark

I recently started getting them too. I just received one ten minutes ago, a single guest, and when I ask for the purpose, she says "it is to stay in my city for a while". Her name changed during the conversation.

Something doesn't feel right.

@Poul-Winther0 

It may be a scam. Maybe not! 

Whenever I get a request from a guest new to the platform, I ask questions to get acquainted. Sometimes this guest is experienced, but all her trips were with someone who booked them as a party of two or three. I have traveled that way, and have several of my friends. 

I have had many guests from China, and they are among my best guests. Some are repeat guests and always welcome back. I have also done home stays in China, they are the most wonderful hosts.

About name changing - this may or may not be the case, as I do not know what she wrote. Chinese language puts the surname first, the person's first name last. Many people do not understand this, so to be more clear the person may switch them to make them more western. They also may choose a western first name, which throws more confusion to new acquaintances. There are so many potential culture and language issues that can confuse the situation. One thing that I can count on is that my Asian guests are polite and respectful. 

If I were in your position, and the request falls within my limits, seems compatible with your place, I'd get acquainted with the potential guest. I have a home share so problems don't happen for the most part. Ask a lot of questions, find out what their purpose of visit is.  Find out their goals and expectations. Be their host, concierge. 

If these questions don't have the hoped for results, then perhaps you have a less than legitimate person requesting. You may also find that you've opened the door to a wonderful exchange. It could go either way. I'd love to hear how this works out!

@Flavia-Lacerda0 

Unscrupulous persons do target new hosts, that is true. These folks reveal themselves rather quickly by their tendency to not play by the rules. That includes suggesting going off platform for communication or payment, for example. Another common red flag is the intention to receive mail and deliveries there. You can imagine the rest. 

I don't immediately go to suspicion as I am a lifelong independent international traveler, who loves hosting others of my sort. 

Poul-Winther0
Level 2
Aarhus, Denmark

Anyone have an idea how it would be a scam?

Squatter's rights usually kick in some time after 28 days. So they will have gained tenant rights with a month-long booking. 

We limit the maximum duration to 25 days. Past that they have to send us a request, and we have denied all of those.

It could also be another type of scam, where they masquerade it as a booking inquiry, but the actual motive is something different, like getting you to invest in some fraudulent platforms, etc.