Massive increase in energy prices UK

Linda3489
Level 2
Kinver, United Kingdom

Massive increase in energy prices UK

We have been running our property for over 20 years and since Airbnb appeared on the scene we get 99% of our bookings through them. The Barn is attached to our house and we refurbished the Stable which is a lot smaller 5 years ago, so now we have 2. The cost of energy has always been factored into the price and it’s worked OK. Most people are here on holiday or visiting family/friends and are out most of the time. However with people now working more from home it is becoming apparent that they are likely to have the heating on all day if they are not paying for it and with gas prices to massively increase we need to put in a meter that guests can top up if they use more. I was thinking that a meter with £20.00 on it for each week of a stay would be OK with anything they used over that they would have to pay for themselves via a card in the meter.  What are other people thinking on this? We have signs asking people to switch off things if they go out but often they don’t. I think that this situation maybe is happening all around the world not just here in the UK. 

20 Replies 20
Holly50
Level 2
Cambridge, United Kingdom

I think you've hit the nail on the head Maria. Airbnb should not be reaping extra fees from hosts as a result of the global increase in energy costs. My annex is all electric and I've had to raise my prices to make ensure it's still financially viable to keep hosting. 

Mike2791
Level 2
Shaftesbury, United Kingdom

I am late to the thread and have just started hosting via AirBnB (we have other rentals elsewhere) - I have been concerned for a while about how to balance having a fair 'all in price' and dealing with profligate users. It came to a head this week as a guest ramped up the gas heating to full - heating the building to 30degC - then went out for 10 hrs a day having set the thermostat to 24/7 - so the boiler was just on all the time. The cost of this  I dread to think.

Basically I think and do not know how to do this, is that AirBnB need to add an additional section on energy usage - there are three elements to this to my mind:

- we are all (I hope) trying to do what we can to address climate change - home heating certainly in the UK is a major contributor - so I trust guests would want to be supportive of all our futures

- there is a fair usage quota - varies but basically if one is not paying the bill, then it is grossly unfair and frankly I find it offensive that a guest almost throws someone else's money out the window - the concept of; if you pay the bill you are a lot more careful is true in many aspects of life, then finally

- how to communicate and codify this as policy such that one can say something along the lines of - you get X kwhrs in the price - to keep warm, cook, light etc - if one goes over that number by say a margin of 10% - then the consumer/guest pays - this is where AirBnB needs to adapt its listing details

My current stance is that if I get another guest who repeatedly ramps up the heating to max - changes the thermostat to 24/7 then goes out all day - leaving the boiler slaving away heating an empty property to as I noted 30degC (which is arguably way in excess of comfort levels) I will ask them to leave as it is in my view a gross abuse of trust and that level of abuse invalidates the 'contract'.

Anyway for what it is worth a few thoughts floated to see if there are others who have had such bad experiences and there is room for policy changes within the AirBnB listing.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Mike2791 If people set the heating in our apartments to a high level or 24 hrs I just reset it remotely. An internet connected system feels essential in your situation.

Mike2791
Level 2
Shaftesbury, United Kingdom

Thanks I have looked into that and the cost where we are and the building's configuration is exceptionally high. I will keep this and other options under review - thanks again for creative suggestion.

Vicki559
Level 2
Stoke, United Kingdom

We are really struggling as well at the moment. I’ve spoken to Airbnb because I wanted to have a daily allowance for energy and then guests pay anything over but they wouldn’t allow it.  We have heating on a timer but guests can change the setting to constant when they are in. I can see that at times the heating has been left on and windows are open. Or heating has been on when guests are not there. Also the thermostat has been left on ridiculously high. With the massive increase in energy costs I’m not sure how we will manage without increasing the nightly prices which I feel will dissuade people from booking. There has to be a better solution from Airbnb. 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Linda3489 

We don't give guests control of the heating. We can adjust it with our smartphones if they request, but considering how much money a guest can waste by not paying attention, it's the only solution that's easy and without risk. 

We know the cost of heating it to 21°c (+/- a few quid), and that's built in to the price. We're hardly the cheapest place around, so I don't mind bumping it up a degree if the guest requests it. 

But I won't allow them to turn the heat up to 30°c (thinking it will miraculously heat up faster) and then leave for 6 hours, then upon return, open all the doors and windows because it's too hot (and not bothering to turn it down). Meanwhile, I'm spending 300€ on their thoughtlessness. 

It used to happen surprisingly often, but we've removed guest control for over 3 years now, and so far, no complaints. Some guests like it a bit warmer, some a bit cooler, but it works and everybody happy.