My current guest is leaving the door open for her two cats to come and go from the house.

Sonia660
Level 1
Billings, MT

My current guest is leaving the door open for her two cats to come and go from the house.

Tonight I discovered my current guest is leaving the entryway door and interior door to the house OPEN for her two cats to come and go while she is gone. I allowed the two cats, but leaving the door open to the house is unacceptable. The open doors are an invitation to mice, insects, larger animals, and thieves, not to mention the temperature this evening is around 27 degrees Fahrenheit. She has not responded to my voice mail or to my follow-up email. I live next door to my Airbnb rental house and I have two cats of my own. Tonight, I had to physically get both of my cats in because they were “investigating” the open doors of the rental house. I have seen the outside door propped open before, but didn’t think much of it. Now I realize she has probably been doing this for a while. 

Any feedback would be helpful.   

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sonia660  You sent her a follow up airbnb message? (I never understand when people say they emailed, when they mean they used the Airbnb messaging, it's confusing) If so, I would send her a text message to her phone telling her to please check her Airbnb messages from you. (Some people never check their voice mail and may not even have their Airbnb notifications turned on) If she still doesn't respond, go put a note on the door, telling her that she can't leave the doors open- that it poses a security risk both for the home and for herself and voids your insurance, and that her booking payment doesn't cover heating the outdoors in winter. Follow that up with an Airbnb message documenting what you wrote in the note. If she continues to ignore the messages, or to comply, you are looking at contacting Airbnb to boot her out. How long is she supposed to be staying?

@Sarah977  Yes, I sent my guest a follow-up airbnb message. I told her to stop leaving the doors open for the cats for all the reasons that I stated above. I will warn her that if she doesn’t comply, I will contact  Airbnb. She is only three weeks into a three-month stay. Thanks for your suggestions.