My guests have complained and want to leave after 2 nights with a full refund

Clodagh2
Level 2
Cipières, France

My guests have complained and want to leave after 2 nights with a full refund

I have 6 guests booked for 4 nights who have complained that the shower/bath (there are three shower/bath) are not draining properly and want to leave early with a full refund.

I sent someone to check today and unblock drains but they reported that all was ok. 

9 Replies 9
Annette190
Level 2
Sharon, MA

This is becoming a bad reality with guest figuring out what to say so they get a refund.

Make sure you get a case manager asap in the USA. (They have a CA office)

I had a guest make a reservation a week before and then she stayed for an hour hunting down things to complain about for a refund (I have a strict cancelation policy so this was her only way out)

-like mold smell and a worm on the outside patio. I had a realor go in the next morning and took pictures of how clean the house was and no dedection of a mold smell. The Asian office gave her a full refund, even though a second case manager in the USA  sided with me. But then they saifd it had to go back to the original case manager. I hope the Air bnb figures this out when people want to stay free or cancel

and get a refund even though it is not die to them. 

I was very disappointed.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I have to say I don't understand what these guests are after when they only stay for an hour and then want a refund. I could understand if the place was a dump, but in the majority of cases I read about, they certainly aren't. Why come all the way somewhere and then leave an hour later? Have they been offered free accommodation somewhere else and just want an out? I'm pretty good at figuring out what people are up to , but this one really has me bamboozled.

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sarah977

She found a friend to put her up in the meantime Sarah, or found somewhere that suited her better. It is happening all the time. Guests have absolutely no concern what they might be doing to a hosts agenda, all they want to drive is their own!

Cheers.....Rob

@Clodagh2    Call Airbnb asap so you are on record with the bogus shower deal.   And write a message to your guests on the message board that someone had been sent out to check and could find no problems,  airbnb can access that documentation immediately.  Better yet get your maintenance person to write a letter to you saying there was no problem and have that to hand for documentation.  btw: The onus is on the guests to cancel.

You have a strict policy so they are not due anything back unless they manage to 'convince' Arbnb that there was a problem.  ***Do not cancel even if you recieve an email from Airbnb asking you if you want to  - say no - or you will be penalized.

I had this happen once and the guest threatened me about a refund. When Airbnb asked me to refund him I said no and just quoted their 'Strict' policy back at them. Coincidentally, I found out the guest had somewhere else to stay for free and had done this three times before and the hosts had caved.

Clodagh2
Level 2
Cipières, France

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have contacted Airbnb and made my case referring to my strict cancellation. Coincidentally they omitted to mention in there complaint that there kids had stuck stickers all over my bed grrrrr!!

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Do make sure you leave them an honest review so no-one else has to host them.

Christine-And-Bob0
Level 2
Florida, United States

We have only been doing this for about six months with no problems.  Today we had a party of six come in and say that one of their group had a mold attack and they wanted a complete refund and were going to ‘stay with family in the area.’  This mobile home was gutted and remodeled from the studs up and we don’t see or smell any mold.  Because this is my first time dealing with this I feel like I got punched in the stomach.  Air BNB refunded their money, keeping 56.00 for themselves and we got zero.  This is really upsetting and if more and more people are pulling this something needs to be done about the refund policy.  Ours is flexible, however,  it seems that ‘mold’ is the magic word that gets Air BnB to give a full refund.  And apparently people know it. 

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Christine-And-Bob0  @Ange2  @Clodagh2  You are not alone. A recent guest of mine wanted full refund by calling Airbnb less than one hour after he checked in due to temperature in the house. Below is the post I created yesterday.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Guest-wanted-to-cancel-due-to-temperature-and-got-full-r...

Therefore, the guest could have any possible reasons to complain and could get a refund. The reason is mainly due to Airbnb overwrote their cancellation policy and tell the guest that it is the host who did not want to do the full refund. Then the guest could get furious at hosts. A retaliatory review will be expected no matter what.And Airbnb even allows the retaliatory reviews.

I strongly feel that we are betrayed by Airbnb.

Denise80
Level 9
Hamilton, New Zealand

I had a guest (now names Princess B to my husband and I) who complained that the carpet had not been vacummed as there was a 3/4 of a leaf on it. I sent our cleaner straight around who pointed out that the other 1/4 of the leaf was on Princess B's shoe and she had in fact brought it in herself! I am sure that her husband had booked and she had had a fit that he hadn't booked the Hilton for her. In fact, when they checked in, the mother in law and children were already at the Hilton!