New Beta Cancellation Policy

Roddy4
Level 2
Kirkton of Durris, United Kingdom

New Beta Cancellation Policy

Hey folks

I would welcome some help here. My “Strict” cancellation policy states that guests get a full refund if they cancel within 48 hours of booking and up to 28days before check in. The new Beta policy states a full refund up to 30 days before  check in. Is that just a difference of 2 days between the two policies ignoring the 48 hours bit? I’d like to make sure I give a potential guest the correct info. 

thanks in anticipation

all the best

Roddy

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Roddy4 I haven't seen this beta version but I would caution against telling the guest anything. When they start a booking the cancellation policy will be fully described to them. To risk giving a wrong explanation when you don't know what Airbnb might offer can only cause trouble!

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

If you are talking about the “Modified Strict” cancellation policy, that was in beta last year and now is a standard policy offering.

With the regular “Strict” policy, a guest can only cancel for a full refund within the first 48 hours after booking, then there’s a 50% refund until 7 days before check-in, then no refund.

As @Mike-And-Jane0 said, it’s always better for the guest to get this kind of information “straight from the horse’s mouth”, so to speak. They can find all the different cancellation policies here:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/475/cancellation-policies-for-your-listing

I don’t know what “beta” you are using; if there is a new 2022 beta with additional cancellation policies being introduced, I’d love to hear about it.

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Roddy4,

The most recent cancellation policy that I am aware of is Firm, and is different from Strict.  I know most guests would like all properties to offer Flexible of Moderate cancellations, but that's not feasible for locations that do not have a lot of transient flow due to location and transportation options.  

I chose Firm Cancellation for my properties, because it gives us the most time to get another reservation after the free cancellation period ends.  If I'd selected Moderate, there is almost no opportunity to get a replacement booking after a short-notice cancellation.  The majority of our guests have to get passports, buy airplane or ferry tickets, and if they are unvaccinated get COVID tested 1 day before traveling.  Prior to last year, I had a Strict cancellation policy, because I couldn't accept the risk of a short-notice cancellation.  I know this policy reduced the pool of guests who would book with us, but at least the ones who did book would be earnest about coming.  I participated in the beta for the Firm Cancellation policy, because it is in alignment with cancellation policies on other platforms.  I also signed up for the non-refundable rate.  We had very few bookings last year due to the local government's COVID regulations regarding which properties could be open, but almost all of them selected the non-refundable option.

Debra300_0-1651782734360.png

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center