New Host

Answered!
Vilma168
Level 1
New York, NY

New Host

Hi Everyone! My name is Vilma and I'm a new host on here. Launched my listing two months ago.  

I have a question regarding a guest that broke my rule of no smoking.  They stayed for 5 days and smoked inside the house. My cleaner alerted me and our home which was completely renovated and did not smell at all, now has a horrible cigarette smell! 

How can I get this covered by Airbnb? I know typically claims require pictures and such, but obviously there's no way of taking pictures of nasty cigarette smells. Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

1 Best Answer

Hi @Vilma168 ,

Dealing with guests who break no-smoking rules can definitely be frustrating, especially when it affects the cleanliness and appeal of your property. Here’s how you can address the issue with Airbnb:

Even though you can't take pictures of the smell, document everything else related to the incident. This includes communications with your cleaner, receipts for any cleaning or remediation services you need to hire, and any other relevant information. If your cleaner noticed the smell immediately after the guest's departure, have them write a statement detailing their findings. If there are any physical signs of smoking, like cigarette butts, ashes, or even packaging, make sure to take clear photos of these as evidence

Make sure to review the guest accordingly. Clearly state that they broke the house rules by smoking inside the property. This can help alert other hosts and serves as an initial step in documenting the issue.

Contact Airbnb as soon as possible. Use the resolution center to officially report the incident. Provide a detailed account of the situation, including the additional cleaning costs and any other expenses incurred due to the smoking. Airbnb often requires hosts to report any damages within a specific timeframe (usually 14 days or before the next guest checks in).

Submit a claim through Airbnb’s Host Guarantee or your host protection insurance. Include estimates or invoices for any professional cleaning needed to remove the smoke smell. The more detailed your documentation, the better your chances of having your claim approved.

Try to communicate with the guest through Airbnb's messaging system to resolve the issue amicably. If the guest admits to breaking the rules and agrees to cover the cleaning costs, this can simplify the resolution process.

To prevent future incidents, consider adding a deposit for your listing if you haven’t already. This can act as a deterrent against breaking house rules. Also, make sure your house rules about no smoking are explicitly clear in your listing description.

If the guest denies the claim or refuses to cooperate, Airbnb’s involvement will be crucial. They can mediate based on the evidence and documentation you provide. Keep all communication on the platform to ensure there is a clear record for Airbnb to review.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Upfish Management

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi @Vilma168 ,

Dealing with guests who break no-smoking rules can definitely be frustrating, especially when it affects the cleanliness and appeal of your property. Here’s how you can address the issue with Airbnb:

Even though you can't take pictures of the smell, document everything else related to the incident. This includes communications with your cleaner, receipts for any cleaning or remediation services you need to hire, and any other relevant information. If your cleaner noticed the smell immediately after the guest's departure, have them write a statement detailing their findings. If there are any physical signs of smoking, like cigarette butts, ashes, or even packaging, make sure to take clear photos of these as evidence

Make sure to review the guest accordingly. Clearly state that they broke the house rules by smoking inside the property. This can help alert other hosts and serves as an initial step in documenting the issue.

Contact Airbnb as soon as possible. Use the resolution center to officially report the incident. Provide a detailed account of the situation, including the additional cleaning costs and any other expenses incurred due to the smoking. Airbnb often requires hosts to report any damages within a specific timeframe (usually 14 days or before the next guest checks in).

Submit a claim through Airbnb’s Host Guarantee or your host protection insurance. Include estimates or invoices for any professional cleaning needed to remove the smoke smell. The more detailed your documentation, the better your chances of having your claim approved.

Try to communicate with the guest through Airbnb's messaging system to resolve the issue amicably. If the guest admits to breaking the rules and agrees to cover the cleaning costs, this can simplify the resolution process.

To prevent future incidents, consider adding a deposit for your listing if you haven’t already. This can act as a deterrent against breaking house rules. Also, make sure your house rules about no smoking are explicitly clear in your listing description.

If the guest denies the claim or refuses to cooperate, Airbnb’s involvement will be crucial. They can mediate based on the evidence and documentation you provide. Keep all communication on the platform to ensure there is a clear record for Airbnb to review.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Upfish Management

Thanks for your insight, how do I add the deposit to my listing? I didn’t know it could be done. 

Peg327
Level 2
San Anselmo, CA

Hi @Vilma168 ,

In addition to your claim, if within 14 days of the guest leaving, perhaps purchase a good Air cleaner and add it with your documents/charges.

Sorry you had to deal with such an inconsiderate guest!