Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

New Retaliatory review policy

Answered!
Aslea0
Level 3
Melbourne, Australia

New Retaliatory review policy

How do I get help trying to explain to customer service or airbmb  ambassador as  that there is a new retaliatory  review policy.  

I'm in Australia and I'm  being ignored and refused help . 

I have 100 % proof  that it was in retaliation to me confronting the guest for not following house rules . 

If you notify a guest that they have violated your house rules and it leads to the guest leaving a retaliatory  review then you dispute it with our updated reviews policy . 

The ambassador hasn't even checked my proof of this  , she just says guest has not  violated review policy . Then sends me link  to the  review policy and the information that the CEO announced and Catherine Powell   announced  is not even in there  . 

They are now just ignoring me , they refuse to reply and when I call they say we will call you back and they refuse to call me back   

I'm confused how there can be a new policy  but they refuse to follow this policy . 

I'm baffled.  

Any help in who I can talk to would be greatly appreciated.  Or a number I can call who will  actually ring me back and look at the communication thread . 

22 days I have been ignored by customer service  and refused a proper investigation . 

I have been a super host for 7 years with many 5 star reviews   and now due to this one guest  who is angry  at me for confronting her ,   I'm below   stat's  . 

I regret even telling her , sadly airbnb are  forcing us not to  enforce  ground rules or it will back fire   even though guest are suppose to respect your home and follow your house rules . 

The ambassador even admitted the guest changed her review  after I confronted her  but still won't remove review as  its not a violation to change a review .

How  does airbnb have a  new review policy  set in  nov 2022  that's not a policy in April 2023   ?? 

I even sent links to it and about it to customer service ambassador,  they have ignored . 

Please if  someone could  help me  with this i would be so greatful . 

Angel 

My email is 

**[E-mail address removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Top Answer
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Aslea0 ,

It seems like you were actively in touch with Support regarding the matter, and I am sorry to hear that this was not the resolution you expected. I wanted to share a few articles related to the retaliatory review policy: here and here.

I am also sharing your concerns with the Support teams if they can review and get back to you with more information. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Top Answer in original post

28 Replies 28

So this is how you protect your hosts. I'm having this problem at the the moment. **  from support team said that the review cannot be deleted. Even the guests wrote lies and violated the rules by declaring only 2 guests but there supposed to be more than 6people to stay. Why they don't investigate properly??? :frowning_face::frowning_face::frowning_face::frowning_face::frowning_face::frowning_face::frowning_face::frowning_face::frowning_face::frowning_face::frowning_face::frowning_face::frowning_face:

**[Name hidden due to privacy concerns - Community Center Guidelines]

I know exactly how you feel , because I AM GOING THROUGH THIS NOW. AIRBNB seems to believe ONE SINGLE bad (false) review, instead of looking at one thousand fantastic reviews in the days before and one thousand fantastic reviews in the following days of the very same property and the very same host.

we are not the only ones , there has been loads of complaints that the new  retaliatory review is  not even being  considered ,  im baffled why they even announced it  if its not a true process .???  Why would they add a new rule but then ignore to look into it .

Airbnb are saying i didnt report it to airbnb ,  BUT airbnb ask you to FIRST contact guest  before going to resolution . which i did 

I followed these  exact rules , contacted guest  direct  and i was reimbursed $70 , but they say  guest  did nothing wrong .

i contacted guest , explained she broke house rules , numerous ones , but more so the pet rules by letting dog sleep in ALL BEDS . and its all on my platform thread .

then her review is all about how i contacted her and complained , that is a clear  retaliatory  review . i have every right to complain to her for breaking rules .

I'm baffled .  

something is not right about this , because when i ask for advice on how to do it the correct way  , the ambassadors  refuse to answer me , they just point blank refuse . 

why are they refusing to explain how to do  something that i didn't apparently do correctly, surly they know how to explain   if its a new  policy

@Catherine-Powell 

So frustrating.  I hope this gets resolved somehow for you. 

leisis (lacy)

Took 5 months of persistence and finally  removed  . I copied and pasted their review on community hub just to show how it clearly  was in retaliation .

Using  Airbnb use to be fun and enjoyable  but now it's becoming quite a worry as peoples reviews are getting quite picky and some nasty to a point .And guest have changed their behaviour and attitude . Very sad 

Sara8246
Level 4
Phoenix, AZ

I'm going through the exact same thing. Are you all experiencing lower bookings after the biased, retaliatory review? My calendar is the most open it has ever been while listed. 

seems its happeneing to loads of hosts , they are refusing to remove , yet you can easily tell its a revenge review , well i can with mine ,  because their review is all about how i told   them they broke house rules , they didnt agree with being told , and having to pay  extra for clean /  damage . i even sent them pictures of their clothes they left on floor.

the ambassadors are ignoring the policy , i just dont know why  they are deliberately ignoring the policy and  doing this to so many hosts ,  when the policy is very clear on the airbnb website  it gives examples and mine falls under an example .

yes bookings are low , of couse they would be  when people  say horrid things 

Phil-and-Lacy0
Level 5
Key Largo, FL

Hello @Aslea0 

First, I am truly sorry this is happening.  We are experiencing something very similar.  We are Superhost who are now below stats for a retaliatory 1 star review and have not been successful in finding support despite video footage of extra guests, and written admission by the guest in the airbnb messaging of this.  She left the review after being confronted.

I hope you can find resolution and that your bookings are not hurt in the long run.

Leisis (Lacy)

It's happening to alot of hosts . Surly this must show them that their new policy is being ignored by support team  or is all words to make airbnb  look good but  no meaning . 

I don't understand why promote this new policy .

Keep persisting . 

Just keep opening the case 

And constantly refer back to new policy words . 

Cheers

Angel 

The majority of staff is in ** that handles these disputes.  I really believe it partly a language barrier and frankly they can see how much we are making and don't feel any sympathy for our situations

**[Content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Aslea0 sorry Aslea but this does not make sense. Par4ts of reviews cannot be removed . If either the host or guest has good reason passed on to airbnb as to a reason for reoval . It can be done , but it takes the review out in its entirety. maybe you are mixing up the guests right of reply which is available up to 30 days after the trip with a change of review. It is a good idea to look at the 'reasons for review removal'' you can scan to the bottom of this page and find them . It is unfortunate that reviews can easily cause enough loss of stars to leave us without super host ,and its very difficult to come back from that. Do not close off the tickets that you open online until you are satisfied or resolved. Keep in contact there. We are all hosts here so unless admin supports your requests and can see your argument pretty clearly its  not very ineffective. If the guest threatened you with a poor review . which is provable in messaging or if the review comments on things that are not to do with the stay and a few other reasons then the reviews will not be removed... in other words there must be a reason as outlined in the regulations. Its possible but still not easy... H

Hi Helen 

Thankyou for your reply. Much appreciated.  

I'm a bit confused on what your saying . 

But my guest didn't write a review  about her stay , she wrote a review about me personally and how I complained to her .   Yes I  messaged her about why she did not follow house rules and let her dog sleep in beds , left mess everywhere. 

So her review was in retaliation  about me . Not about  her stay . 

That's why I asked for it to be removed . 

And she wrote a review on departure  then changed it . 

She could not of written about me in first review as i didnt  complain to her till  well  after she left . 

so thats how i know she changed her review   being about me complaining .

Cheers 

Angel  

@Aslea0 Sorry Aslea, I must have been asleep but honestly parts of a review cannot be removed without all of it being removed. Unless it was in her private message to you , which is not the review proper and she can change it only up until both parts are public, before this  you cannot see it,  .When did you write your review of the guest? I cannot see any review either for your St Kilda property or your Torquay property that looks suss . You have had lots of guests  and lots of good reviews... Maybe it has already been removed . Let us know... H

Feel free to call me to see how to get Airbnb to follow their own CEO policy.

I'm a Super Host.  I spent two weeks to research my retailatory reviews for the past 12 years.  

https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/2503251

And I had to submit a ticket for each review and Airbnb removed most of them.

I also found if you call Airbnb out in the Review Response they are more likely to remove too:

Here is my response: Thank you, Alexis for your threat to write a retailatory review if you didn't get a refund from Airbnb. A week into the reservation Alexis couldn't afford the rest of the month so she cancelled and said she would write a negative review if she didn't get a full month refund in writing which is against Airbnb policy.

Airbnb enforced their cancellation policy thus Alexis Retailatory Review. Lori, my housekeeper checked her in early and showed her my “Mission Beach Jamaica” FLAT and everything was great. After the 1st couple of nights everything was "Awesome". A week into the reservation Alexis couldn't afford the rest of the month so she cancelled and said she would write a negative review if she didn't get a full month refund.

Here is AIRBNB's CEO policy: According to your CEO: "no matter when it was posted"

"Stronger protection against retaliatory reviews
You should feel comfortable hosting guests without worrying about the possibility of receiving a retaliatory review. You can dispute a retaliatory review—no matter when it was posted—from guests who commit a serious violation of policies, such as:

Damaging your property - see damages in Resolution link

Overstaying their reservation  - broken in and enter the home 6 hours early, would let housekeeper clean, made meal and harrassed housekeeper to clean, didn't pay for early and late check out and housekeepers need to be paid

Violating your standard house rules  - party, extra guests that she pay for, she damage home with blood

Having an unauthorized party or event at your place" one night had the party with the housekeeper there see texts screen shot in resolution.

https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/how-to-dispute-retaliatory-reviews-552

Airbnb let's see if you follow your own policy?

Cheers, Laura, hostess, homeowner & remodeler 

Call/Text **

Long-Term Room & Entire Home Listings: https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/2503251

COASTAL Homes San Diego, Los Angeles, Portland, OR: **

**[Contact details and link removed -  Community Center Guidelines]