Newbies to Airbnb

Answered!
Stephen460
Level 2
Portsmouth, United Kingdom

Newbies to Airbnb

Just wondering on what people’s views are in regards to first time users to Airbnb in terms of ratings given by them?

I am a super-host with some 334 reviews and an overall rating of 4.9.

Unfortunately the Ave rating from guests booking for the first time for us is 4 stars. We have tried everything to assist and support first time guests. We’ve gone all out and up and beyond to ensure their stays are as near to perfect as can be. Unfortunately our experience is that this group is responsible for our scores not being a perfect 5. It seems that no matter what we do there is just a different psychology at play. Almost like they think a five is equal to a five star experience in a top hotel.

What does the Airbnb community do and or think on this topic. Is there a magic formula? 

As Airbnb becomes an ever important OTA and platform the number of fist time bookers seems to be increasing.

We are now considering going request stay only and to put on our Airbnb site that we will not accept first time Airbnb bookers with no reviews and recently created profile.

It sounds counterintuitive, but we are really concerned with receiving reviews that say; wonderful hosts, how we have an amazing property and they would love to return and mark us a four. 

thoughts or input on what we should do, or what you are doing. Do hosts have a similar experience?

l would love to hear from hosts on this subject.

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Stephen460 we have the following text at the end of our Apartment manuals:

We hope you enjoyed your time with us and will leave a review on Airbnb. The Airbnb system is somewhat strange in that an average of 4.7 stars is ‘the level of performance that’s expected from hosts on Airbnb’.

Does it help? No idea but we haven't had a 4* review for 18 months now (touch wood)

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

This whole issue is a matter of perspective, wise of you to ask.

A 5.0 vs. a very high 4.? to me has little bearing on booking, since the very best of places will have a whale of a time keeping straight 5's over the long run, meaning sooner or later a 'clueless one' will come and give you straight 5's in all categories, yet 4 over all. What people write  to me is the key.

Even the best of systems can't cover every pitfall. One thing I notice: are you on IB? If so, isn't there some options to only accept those with some reviews, meaning they are not really first timers?

Stephen460
Level 2

Thanks Fred,

some really good points. Yes the feedback is everything and I know we should be happy if the written feedback is that the guest had an amazing time. You are so right it’s about how they feel and think, but ultimately as a host and with Airbnb’s rating ultimately it’s the rating that determines your Super host Status and ultimately we all know that if you have a rating below 4.3 then you could be struck off. So for us who don’t want to penalise first time users it’s still a quandary. We are on other platforms and Google and Tripadvisor - so using these to show quality is important to us.

we aren’t perfect and things do go wrong from time to time so thanks for the comments around a perfect 5. We have over 1,500 reviews and hit the right metrics (9.2 on BDC and Expedia / 4.5 on Trip Advisor and Google) as you say they all have their pitfalls.

I think the main thing as you say is  hopefully guests will read the reviews and the scores will balance out.

Thanks for the points around IB being turned on or off. I’m not sure you can refine it more so that newbies are excluded, so will look into this. Agree that this may be the best way to filter Newbies. Though it may end up with Airbnb and Hosts missing out on bookings and Newbies getting frustrated with bookings if hosts do this…

thank you for your input and comments / really helpful

@Stephen460 "Though it may end up with Airbnb and Hosts missing out on bookings and Newbies getting frustrated with bookings if hosts do this…"

Hmm, that did escaped me. I have had great luck with newbies actually, and being on IB (with some stringent filters) is excluding them. Got to re-think about this.

Stephen460
Level 2

Thanks Fred / I think we will use the filters and am looking at those now - so thank you v much for the input. Much appreciated 

Ruth413
Level 10
Moreton, United Kingdom

I totally understand as I am having the exact same experience myself.  I am not on IB but I do also accept first timers, as I think people have to start out somewhere.

My latest review was a 4*.  I haven't had a 4* review in over 3 years, so it came as a bit of a shock but the written review was absolutely fine and like your guests they expressed their wish to return.  I can only put this down as first timers not knowing/understanding the Airbnb review system.  I did laugh when I got an email from Airbnb telling me that I got a 4 start review so there is obviously room for improvement !    

What I have also noticed with a few recent reviews, is more people marking down in the individual categories, again all newbie guests.  Some of these don't make any sense at all, 4* for accuracy, but with the added points of points of perfect description, matched the photos, all amenities supplied, so I don't know how that can be improved.  4* for cleanliness but says pristine kitchen, squeaky clean bathroom, spotless bed linen and furniture etc.   I find it difficult knowing how the guests experience can improve to 5* when I don't know what the problem is !

But no, I don't have an answer to this apart from not accepting first time guests which really goes against what I believe in.  I was a first time host at one point and guests gave me a chance to shine.   It is very tricky because also I don't believe in speaking to guest about reviews beforehand, it makes me feel as if I am asking for a good review.  I know some people put details about the review system in their welcome notes for when guests arrive, but again that makes me feel uncomfortable too.

I am waiting to see what this weekend brings.  I have a guest arriving who is 5 5* reviews and another guest who is new to Airbnb.  I have already had great communication from the reviewed guest, but no response as of yet from the newbie.   Starting to make me feel on edge already !

Stephen460
Level 2

Thanks Ruth,

I feel exactly the same as the sentiments you made. Not wanting to penalise first time bookers. We were all new at one stage. We don’t want to push for five star reviews pre stay. ( we genuinely want constructive and honest feedback - it’s how we learn and grow) Congratulations on your listing and hosting skills by the way 3 years with 5 star reviews👏.

Thanks for the input and for sharing. Maybe the answer is for Airbnb to set expectations and a guide for guests? Something like:

Guest Rating Guide:

5-star: Nobody is perfect, but I enjoyed my stay!

4-star: There are several issues that need to be corrected.

3-star: There are major problems.

2-star: This listing should be removed.

1-star: Ban these hosts for life.

I don’t know but it seems that like you turning IB off and being “guest selective” is the only real way for hosts to manage the mix of experienced Airbnb users V Newbies and to ensure ratings don’t take a hit?

Jill159
Level 2
Cotswold District, United Kingdom

Minor point but a recent guest gave 4/5 for Checkin everything else 5*
I asked him why and he said everything perfect this was just a mistake on his part

Really annoying and frustrating 

Jill 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Stephen460 we have the following text at the end of our Apartment manuals:

We hope you enjoyed your time with us and will leave a review on Airbnb. The Airbnb system is somewhat strange in that an average of 4.7 stars is ‘the level of performance that’s expected from hosts on Airbnb’.

Does it help? No idea but we haven't had a 4* review for 18 months now (touch wood)

Thanks Mime and Jane - really helpful and something that we will try. It’s all about education and I think that you’ve addressed this in a very professional way - if you don’t mind we would like to use this? 
by the way congratulations on your achievements 👏

thank you for the input 

Jill159
Level 2
Cotswold District, United Kingdom

Hello

We have found the same 

Guests new to Airbnb tend to expect a hotel service - they just don’t understand this is a different experience especially in the rating and review scenarios 

Also less respectful of house rules etc

We  are thinking we will only consider accepting  people with previous reviews

Jill