No More College-Age Guests Without a Parent

Answered!
Margaret157
Level 7
Cheltenham, PA

No More College-Age Guests Without a Parent

My post originally stated that all are welcome ~ including younger travelers. Nope. No more.

After this last crew checked out ~ and left me less than five stars after

1) not letting me know what time they were arriving,

2) locking themselves out

3) requesting more towels because theirs were clumped up in little wet balls on the floor,

4) needing a jump start because their car battery died AND ASKING MY NEIGHBOR TO DO IT,

5) leaving the place a wreck

~ my post is now changed to require college-age students to be accompanied by a parent.

The previous group of young travelers used my vintage, 1950s magazines as coasters and left a mountain of cigarette butts on my property, left the place a disaster, AND complained while they were here. In addition to Freshman English Composition and Western Civilization, a required course for graduation should be How to Behave in Public.

1 Best Answer
Bruce43
Level 10
Kfar Blum, Israel

@Margaret157 Hello Margaret, I used to travel States and Europe for work for 15 years.

every hotel/motel I stayed in 

The noise level from adjoining rooms and hallways was terrible.the night manager was in a quandary about what to do 80% of the time.You have to weed out the younger people.But there are also lots of beautiful and well behaved young students and travelers out there too.Just be stern if you feel that "stress booking" take a while to accept and ponder on it.But I live in Israel most younger guests have done the army, and I still get called sir at times until I tell them to call me "Bruce the Almighty."

View Best Answer in original post

22 Replies 22
Holly84
Level 3
San Jose, CA

I am a college aged traveler. I have lived on my own since I was 16, I don't have parents to travel with me like many other college age students who I'm sure would love to be able to use your property. I rent out a piece of my house sometimes, and I have had plenty of older people who are just as messy and not as put together as they should be. It's about being responsible and clean, a vast number of people older than 30 can't even do that. 

Don't discriminate against age because of a few people who can't take care of themselves.

I think this would be against AirBnB non discrimination policy, also not sure what gae group that would be?

David

I have learned the hard way that references provide us with insite to past behaviors of a guest. That said, I once accepted a guest from another country for almost 90-days and with only 1 reference and he was one of my favorite guests. On the flip side I once accepted a guest with three references and he ended up eating in my room (againtst the house rules). It's unfortunate that I cannot be sure how each guest will behave.

I agree with Holly, that while age may mean something, the individual is the most important part.

About a month ago, I received an Instant Booking request, (as a request because of her age) for 2 nights (my minimum) starting the next day. She stated that she was planing her first solo trip without any parent participation. For the purpose of this discussion, I will mention that her selfie photo showed a young African American. I accepted the booking. Before the night was over, she let me know that her 15 yo sister would be joining her, because her horse show had been cancelled. I told her that was terrific! Less than 3 days later, I was hugging and saying goodbye to 2 of the most polite, bright, and ambitious young people I've every had the pleasure to meet. She was taking time off after graduating from college to study for her LSAT to be accepted to law school. She plans to become and environmental lawyer.

By contrast, I have mentioned in another thread about the couple who shoved the bed against the wall and put the mattress on the floor, then took extra pillows from a room that was clean and ready for booking. All to control their 1 yo that they chose not to bring their Pack & Play for. They were probably in their upper 20's and thought they were something special. They are the ones I don't want back!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Margaret157,

Welcome to the Community Center, it is lovely to meet you. My name is Lizzie and I am the Community Manager here. 

When you welcome people into you home you always hope they will treat it with respect and so on the rare occasion when this doesn't happen like it sounds it has here, I can understand why you are really upset.  

Having said this, it is easy at times like this to generalise and wish to close your door on all young people, but as @Holly84 has said this could have happened with anyone of any age. 

I think at times like this it is good to keep in mind that 'Airbnb's mission is to build a community of belonging. We believe that by sharing our homes, meeting people from across the world, and experiencing different cultures, we can foster the understanding that leads to that community of belonging.'

As part of this, please read Airbnb's Nondiscrimination Policy which provides guidance for hosts on this further, with specific reference to age.

Perhaps others community members have some suggestions to help prevent this from happening in the future, i.e house rules etc.?

I do hope you have a better experience with your next guests.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi, Lizzie ~ it seems that Airbnb's policy with respect to age is left to the jurisdiction in which the host lives. In Pennsylvania, a housing discrimination matter based upon age is limited to tenants 40 and older. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Margaret157,

To recap what's outlined in the policy:

Age and Familial Status

Airbnb hosts may not:

• Impose any different terms or conditions or decline a reservation based on the guest’s age or familial status, where prohibited by law.

Airbnb hosts may:

• Provide factually accurate information about their listing’s features (or lack of them) that could make the listing unsafe or unsuitable for guests of a certain age or families with children or infants.
  • Note in their listing applicable community restrictions (e.g. senior housing) that prohibit guests under a particular age or families with children or infants

Airbnb recognizes that some jurisdictions permit, or require, distinctions among individuals based on factors such as national origin, gender, marital status or sexual orientation, and it does not require hosts to violate local laws or take actions that may subject them to legal liability. Airbnb will provide additional guidance and adjust this nondiscrimination policy to reflect such permissions and requirements in the jurisdictions where they exist.

If you need further clarification on this, I would recommend contacting the Airbnb Support Team directly on this. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Deborah233
Level 3
Hagerstown, MD

You could require a hefty refundable security deposit.  That usually encourages guests to be more careful.  Also, the college-age group usually will not want to pay the extra funds for the deposit.

The problem, IMO, started when AirBnB started advertising like a hotel chain - thus giving the impression that the places to stay can 'used' like a hotel instead of a privately owned residence.  It also, removed that more intimate 'member-only' feeling of a special club of people that share their spaces.

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

@Margaret0, I understand your frustration with this situation. sure sounds like you really tried to help them out any way you could.
But I am wondering: Is that the guest whom you reviewed and said: "guest.........and her friends were very sweet"?
If that is indeed the group, then I'm really disappointed that you didn't use the opportunity of the review to be more forthcoming with what happened, as you say here they left your place a disaster.
Other hosts rely on our feedback to possibly avoid such a guest.

Xiaoyan1
Level 1
Pleasanton, CA

@Margaret0 Did the college-aged guests have poor past reviews (or any at all)? And did you reach out to Airbnb and try to get any compensation for the mess that the students caused?

Linda100
Level 3
San Diego, CA

How about a house rule that you don't allow anyone under 25 without 3 positive reviews?  That way any young responsible guests are more than welcome and the ones who are either new to Airbnb (untested) or who have less than steller reviews would not be allowed?  Just a thought...

Last night , I just have two college aged people , they were two hours late to check out ignoring my message, and took away all my newly bought she all my newly bought shampoo, conditioner , shower gel and detergent!

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Margaret157 Dont put all college-age guests in the same basket but if you dont want parties on your property you can put it in your description and avoid such incident happen again. Remember there are more youngsters using Airbnb than middle age or older people so refusing them isnt too good for business. I do respect your decision. Good luck!!!

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Margaret157

To repeat another host's suggestion:

Install a security deposit. It's sometimes difficult getting something refunded from it through Arbnb, yet most guests probably don't know that. If somebody isn't willing to book because of it, then they're probably not responsible enough from the start.

I also suggest you really beef up your house rules. If a host has fairly soft ones as you now have in place they sound like a free for all to not such good guests, and you have less ground to stand on if there are grounds for complaint later on.

From my own experience I know that it's important to repeat things that are really important during the check-in tour.

This can be regarding smoking, not bothering neighbors, keeping noise down to not bother neighbors because you don't want them to call the police. Setting up fairly strict parameters and enforcing them already helps to a certain extent. You at least don't have IB, so you can talk to potential guests beforehand. If you're getting a request for a group you'd be willing to accept but are nervous they might want to party it up, possibly tell them beforehand that depending on their plans to consider well whether or not your accommodation is suitable due to proximity to your neighbors, whom you wouldn't want calling the police about noise etc. Or something that fits your situation. I'm simply pulling things out of a hat here regarding local Airbnb tourist problems,  but if I felt leary about a very young group I think insinuating the pressure to 'behave' would help weed out the bad ones.