Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

No to the new no guest photo policy

No to the new no guest photo policy

Hello fellow Hosts-

I have noticed Airbnb's policies increasingly moving towards guest's needs, and further away from the needs of hosts, especially hosts who prefer the security of personally screening people they invite into their home, verses hosts with Instant Book, who do not have as big a concern with safety. I have let many other changes go, but I feel that their newest no guest photo policy hits a new low, and for me, is totally unacceptable.

My home is not a public hotel. If guests do not want to show their faces and want to remain anonymous, they should stay in a hotel- there are plenty of those. Airbnb is supposed to offer a more personal alternative, where hosts as well as guests benefit mutually from honesty and trust. To cultivate this trust, there needs to be transparency on BOTH sides, and blocking photos does not inspire trust!

As hosts, we are extremely vulnerable- guests see our photo, photos of our homes, our neighborhood location, see our star ratings, reviews, and our cancellation history, yet as (non-instant book) hosts, we are not able to access any of these same basic qualities. I am not racist in any way, I accept all nationalities, from all over the world, but I am extremely concerned with personal safety. Airbnb has just removed one of the most important tools that I am able to use to help my intuition determine who I am willing to allow into my home.

I understand that Airbnb wants to be politically correct by encouraging non-discrimination. That is noble of them, but please do not do it at our expense. Do not deny hosts of this important basic tool. And not viewing a photo will not end discrimination! It just will make hosts more cautious and more discriminating, forcing us to base a decision whether to allow strangers into our homes even more narrowly- on the sex, for example, or a name, writing style, living location, or an unjust bad review. In my experience, there already is not enough information about most guests (especially if they have not completed a profile or do not have any reviews), but more often than not, a smiling face of their profile photo is enough to go ahead and trust that stranger. Now, without the thousand words a photo can convey, I will always decline a reservation if the person's communication lacks information that I ask for, has misspellings, or is otherwise less than ideal. We have that right as a host to decline any reservation, Airbnb's host rules makes that clear. Why remove an important tool that allows for more trust?! A trust that benefits guests as well, as they will be more likely to be accepted for a reservation request. Why punish all hosts, when going after the few specific hosts with a history of discrimination, would be much, much more appropriate?

And lastly, Airbnb's solution does not resolve the problem of racism in a fair way. Discrimination is a human flaw that does not just affect hosts- guests are just as able to discriminate against hosts! If implementing this new policy is a true effort to combat racism, Airbnb is actually discriminating against hosts by not imposing this same standard equally to all of us, hosts and guests alike!

I am a Superhost who has enjoyed the benefits of listing my guest room on Airbnb for many years, but by taking away this most basic and important tool, I am considering for the first time, the possibility of going with another rental option if this decision is not reversed. I wrote a lengthy letter in protest, submitted in the feedback section, and intend to send it daily until the new policy is reversed or imposed fairly to all. I told them that if they do not want to lose their hosts, that they should put an end to this ridiculous no guest photo policy, and restore full disclosure between both guests and hosts, which has brought great success to their platform- thus far. I encourage all who dislike this new policy to send their feedback as well!

165 Replies 165

@Rose, if accurate profile pictures and transparency are so important, why are you an Eiffel tower? Just curious.

Emi,

You're a level 10, I'm a level 2. I don't know what that means, "levels." Would you care to enlighten me? Please and thank you. 🙂 My guess is that it refers to the frequency of one's participation in these forums. Am I close? Thanks. 🙂 

Hi @Brent23, that is correct - it is the forum participation that determines the 'level'

@Brent23, keep posting and keep getting and giving 'thumbs up' and you'll move up in levels quickly 🙂

Tom717
Level 1
Santa Ana, CA

Bummer. This is a deal killer for us. One inquiry had a front photo and then a second with her on a bed with boobs showing through totally see through clothing.  We do allow instant book, but have had many inquires that did not meet our minimum requirents, therefore they’d ask a question that did not relate to the typical problem that they do not have government issued ID.   We have had to be very careful. The photos have really helped. There is no way someone should allow someone to book a room in their home without even knowing what they look like. I have a feeling our “welcoming” score is going to plummet. Thanks everyone for the comments and leads to other suppliers. This is a horrible policy that is dangerous to the safety of hosts with huge penalties for cancellation.  I think bad people will see this and exploit Airbnb weakness’.  Bad people always do.  Bummer!

Tom

Brent23
Level 3
Saint Petersburg, FL

I often tell new Airbnb guests this, "Make sure that by the time you arrive to my property that your face matches the exact face in your profile pic or you may be denied entry to the compound." I do this ensure that the person making the reservation is the same person arriving to stay, unless prior arrangements have been made with me, which sometimes happens and that's ok. Airbnb can have their policy however they like as far as I'm concerned, that doesn't mean that I can't have a security policy of my own. 

Stephan-And-Tia0
Level 4
Hamilton, Canada

I use photos as a tool for screening my guests. Our experience is that many of the younger guests, especially ones without reviews, tend to try to use our place to drink and party with their friends. Removing the photo before booking, will mean a lot of extra work in the screening process for ALL guests, rather than just the younger ones. I tend to use different lines of questioning, and am far more thorough in screening the younger ones as to their intentions for our place. In fact, we tended to automatically deny guests with new profiles, no photo and no reviews. Now that there will be no photo available, I will be far less likely to take a chance on new members who have no reviews. I find this to be unfortunate for newbies, as it will be more difficult for them to become established in the community. I think this new policy is a terrible idea.

Robert923
Level 3
Tepoztlán, Mexico

How would guests feel on seeing NO pics.....NO pics and they have to rely on a few carefully chosen words......this new policy is totally unacceptable and I am starting to work now with other platforms....can anyone recommend other sites?  

Agreed! No pics from our place either 

Daniel2195
Level 7
Orting, WA

And let’s not forget that without accurate profile pics AirBnB is sending people of color into racist host’s homes - endangering them with both bigots and ignorance of the situation. With profile pics a racist host simply declines people of color. Without pics the bigot accepts the reservation, and AirBnB sets up both host and guests for a possibly dangerous confrontation.

For LGBTQ+ folks it’s much the same. We often use “couple pics” to ward off bigots. We often put rainbow pins and pink triangle stickers on our pics to ward off haters while informing other LGBTQ+ people that we’re “with them”. No pics means these protections and safety mechanisms aren’t happening and in some countries that can get us jailed or killed. Even here in America we are endangered if we show up and “surprise” some racist bigot.

This is a seriously flawed and dangerous policy for AirBnB to have. I hope they require accurate profile pics and realize how not requiring them, and only showing them after confirmation, hurts hosts, guests, and those of us that face discrimination and violence for just being who we are.

I agree with Stephen & Tia, Daniel, Reka, Claire  and everyone else who has expressed themselves here. Airbnb needs to reinstate photographs of potential guests for all the reasons articulated here.

@Daniel2195 wrote:

And let’s not forget that without accurate profile pics AirBnB is sending people of color into racist host’s homes - endangering them with both bigots and ignorance of the situation. With profile pics a racist host simply declines people of color.

Just for clarification: How do you define racist? Someone declining "people of color"? Are you saying someone of color cannot be a racist and someone not of color can not be a victim of racism?

Helen303
Level 2
Agnes Water, Australia

Hi

I quite agree - I like to know if couples are 2 males or 2 females or one of each.  If my husband is away i prefer not to have only males.  Statistics support my concerns.  

But basically if there is no photo I would prefer not to have those people.

i have only had beautiful people but that is because Airbnb have always required photos and several ID ‘s.

dont let us down please .

otherwise eventually someone reading these comments might be prepared to give Airbnb some competition!

Helen 

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

I can understand your rationale. It’s common sense in the situation you describe, and frankly I’d want my own Mum to be as cautious. But... actively declining guests for being “male” is called gender discrimination. For better or worse, it is directly disallowed under Airbnb policy. Keep being safe Helen, but I would be cautious about openly saying you ignore this rule... and use profile photos to do it. This is the sort of thing Airbnb will be happy to point at to justify their decision... fair or not.

@Ben551 

You state... "But... actively declining guests for being “male” is called gender discrimination. For better or worse, it is directly disallowed under Airbnb policy". Not in all circumstances. 

https://www.airbnb.ie/help/article/1807/can-i-choose-to-only-host-people-of-my-own-gender

"According to our Nondiscrimination Policy, you may make a listing available to only guests of your gender when you share living spaces with them (for example, bathroom, kitchen, or common areas)"