Payments for completed rentals?

Gary986
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Payments for completed rentals?

Hi

I have decided to market my villa this year with airbnb due to a complete loss of income due to the pandemic, I also market with VRBO and Booking.com. When I set up the villa I have to add payments details for the yearly subscription with VRBO and also where rental payments are paid into for both booking.com and VRBO?

I am just working on my self assessment tax for all income and realised I have not received any income for all my bookings through airbnb?

I have now just set up a payment method with paypal and my bank account.

Has anyone else experienced this, as my rentals go back some months so appears they have just been banking the funds and not advising I hadnt set up a payment method?

Regards

Gary

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Gary986  It isn't up to Airbnb to advise you to set up your payout method. This is one of the basic things involved when setting up a listing.

I don't quite understand what kind of bookkeeping you do that you didn't notice that you weren't receiving payments for bookings, or how you ever thought you'd get paid if you hadn't entered the info, but you're now going to have to deal with Airbnb customer service to sort this out.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

Settings -> payments and payouts -> transaction history. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 it appears obvious (to me at least) that @Gary986 doesn't use double entry book keeping but rather has chosen to use zero entry book keeping.

I also thought you couldn't actually publish a listing without a payment method in place but perhaps I am wrong. Anyway tax returns for last year (to April 2021) are not required until end Jan 2022 so there is plenty of time to sort it all out.

@Mike-And-Jane0  I've read quite a few posts from newbie hosts who say  their listing was published, they had bookings or completed stays, but they don't understand how they'll get paid and who hadn't entered their payout info.

Seems to me like something you'd be sure to have in place before listing, but hey, obviously everyone doesn't think like that.

I'm sure Airbnb doesn't have any issue with collecting interest on withheld payments. 🙂