Reasonable Compensation For Missing Items / Cleaning

Answered!
David9892
Level 2
Gibraltar

Reasonable Compensation For Missing Items / Cleaning

I've been travelling Europe with my dog for the last year or so while working remotely. We've met some incredible welcoming hosts across our journey.

Unfortunately 2 months ago over a year into our trip my dog got sick so we had to stay for an extended time in some Airbnbs to care for him. Ultimately he passed away in an monthly long airbnb stay a few weeks ago.

I cleaned the Airbnb before leaving putting things in the washing machine and dishwasher, etc as well. But I didn't feel it was as clean as it could be because honestly I just wanted to get out of there.  I offered the host to pay for a blanket we used to wrap him in when he passed away which was missing and also for some additional cleaning.

However the host went crazy listing tiny things such as the dishwasher drain was full of food, there was a food stain on the wooden floor, etc. They asked for around 550 USD compensation. Does this seem reasonable? I was expecting maybe 50$ for the blanket and 100$ for cleaning (Checkout cleaning fee was $10).

1 Best Answer
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @David9892 ,

I am so sorry for your loss and can understand how hard it must have been for you. I hope you are able to get through this difficult time and get to have this situation resolved soon.

On a side note, Have you reached out to Airbnb Customer Support or to the Host if they agree to negotiate considering your circumstances?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

No it doesn't seem reasonable at any human level and is a classic case that the host ranks should be subjected to re-certification to eliminate those that have no business being hosts. Airbnb could then move on to also look critically to the guest (vs. host) cases and stop giving further credence to those who are nothing but hustlers. In time the brand could gain a certain level of - perceived quality. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @David9892 ,

I am so sorry for your loss and can understand how hard it must have been for you. I hope you are able to get through this difficult time and get to have this situation resolved soon.

On a side note, Have you reached out to Airbnb Customer Support or to the Host if they agree to negotiate considering your circumstances?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines