Retaliatory Review Delete But Bookings Stopped

Answered!
Marc10625
Level 2
Camas, Washington

Retaliatory Review Delete But Bookings Stopped

I had a guest that snuck in a pet despite it being against the house rules. It was very obvious they had an animal due to the overwhelming amount of dog or cat hair so I charged them pet penalty - extra cleaning fee (which is listed in the house rules and on the listing). The guest got defensive in their response until I showed them the evidence and photos my cleaners sent me. They eventually paid, but left a 1 star review immediately. I was able to get the review deleted the same day, but noticed my bookings and views have come to a complete halt after this incident. Is this normal or has this happened to anyone else? Does the review still affect my listing? I'm currently at a 4.9 rating and a Superhost. 

Top Answer

Hi again!

Don't think the retaliatory review that was removed is hurting you, since future guests won't see it. I would try changing/updating the listing and see if it helps? Other hosts can offer some ideas as well. You can always keep trying different things to see if you get an uptick in bookings.

Complete ALL sections of listing.

I noticed you are missing some information/sections on the listing? The airbnb algorithm looks for the entire listing to be complete and all sections offered should have content entered. If there is a box, put something in it! It hurts your search rank if any sections are not completed.

Title

This should highlight what makes you different from your competition. I would try something like:

"Centrally located! Private w Wooded Back Yard/Deck"

Description

This is your chance to let guests know the unique features of the home that make you stand out from your competition. I would try something like:

“Large (2,300sqft) home with all new furniture and high-end appliances! Quiet and private, yet centrally located near Raleigh/Cary. Close to shopping, dining, entertainment and outdoor activities. Enjoy the large back yard with deck and screened porch; perfect for family entertaining. Relax in the evening and enjoy the fireplace, 65” Roku HDTV(Roku) and air hockey table. Head out for awesome hiking at the nearby American Tobacco Trail. Take in a show at PNC arena, or the Koka Booth Amphitheater.”

Amenities/Furniture Placement

BBQ

I didn’t see a BBQ? Guests expect to have a BBQ at larger properties. I would add a BBQ (if you don’t have one) and add to your amenities, description and photos.

Fireplace

What type of fireplace? Gas, electric, wood-burning? Add to description/amenities.

HDTV

Turn on the TV so displays ROKU, (start a fire in the fireplace) take a new photo

Furniture Placement

Hard to tell, but looks like the air hockey table is in front of the TV/fireplace? I would move it to where the sectional sofa is and put the sectional in front of the fireplace and TV. The “hangout” spot for the family would be in front of TV/fireplace. Take a new photo with TV on and fire going.

Photos

Put captions on ALL photos. Your cover photo (and 1st four photos) are key. Your cover photo should be your best photo and show something that makes your place stand out. I would change your cover photo. The large, wooded, private lot and deck are what makes your property stand out.  you

Cover Photo

Exterior photos of the home at twilight do very well. I like the photo of the exterior/front of the home, or the back with the deck. These photos show the large lot, size of the house and the wooded privacy. I would change the cover photo to one of the two below.

Apex, NC.png

Apex NC 2.png

Suggest you re-take the same photo shots at twilight with all lights on in the house and outside on the deck. Might consider adding string lights on deck. Wait until there is a soft warm glow from the all the lights, but you can still see the home clearly. Take multiple shots from different angles (slight upshot is best). Then pick your best of these photos as your cover photo and see if it improves your bookings.

Add Host Guidebook

This will really help guest with recommendations for the area. I would put all the locations you mentioned in About This Space and add recommendations for restaurants and shopping in the area

Hope this helps! Let us know how it goes!

View Top Answer in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi!

Can you clarify which property had the issue? Both properties say no pets. I'm guessing it's the newer listing in Irvine (only 1 review)?

@Joan2709 It's the older listing actually in Apex with 11 reviews.

Hi again!

Don't think the retaliatory review that was removed is hurting you, since future guests won't see it. I would try changing/updating the listing and see if it helps? Other hosts can offer some ideas as well. You can always keep trying different things to see if you get an uptick in bookings.

Complete ALL sections of listing.

I noticed you are missing some information/sections on the listing? The airbnb algorithm looks for the entire listing to be complete and all sections offered should have content entered. If there is a box, put something in it! It hurts your search rank if any sections are not completed.

Title

This should highlight what makes you different from your competition. I would try something like:

"Centrally located! Private w Wooded Back Yard/Deck"

Description

This is your chance to let guests know the unique features of the home that make you stand out from your competition. I would try something like:

“Large (2,300sqft) home with all new furniture and high-end appliances! Quiet and private, yet centrally located near Raleigh/Cary. Close to shopping, dining, entertainment and outdoor activities. Enjoy the large back yard with deck and screened porch; perfect for family entertaining. Relax in the evening and enjoy the fireplace, 65” Roku HDTV(Roku) and air hockey table. Head out for awesome hiking at the nearby American Tobacco Trail. Take in a show at PNC arena, or the Koka Booth Amphitheater.”

Amenities/Furniture Placement

BBQ

I didn’t see a BBQ? Guests expect to have a BBQ at larger properties. I would add a BBQ (if you don’t have one) and add to your amenities, description and photos.

Fireplace

What type of fireplace? Gas, electric, wood-burning? Add to description/amenities.

HDTV

Turn on the TV so displays ROKU, (start a fire in the fireplace) take a new photo

Furniture Placement

Hard to tell, but looks like the air hockey table is in front of the TV/fireplace? I would move it to where the sectional sofa is and put the sectional in front of the fireplace and TV. The “hangout” spot for the family would be in front of TV/fireplace. Take a new photo with TV on and fire going.

Photos

Put captions on ALL photos. Your cover photo (and 1st four photos) are key. Your cover photo should be your best photo and show something that makes your place stand out. I would change your cover photo. The large, wooded, private lot and deck are what makes your property stand out.  you

Cover Photo

Exterior photos of the home at twilight do very well. I like the photo of the exterior/front of the home, or the back with the deck. These photos show the large lot, size of the house and the wooded privacy. I would change the cover photo to one of the two below.

Apex, NC.png

Apex NC 2.png

Suggest you re-take the same photo shots at twilight with all lights on in the house and outside on the deck. Might consider adding string lights on deck. Wait until there is a soft warm glow from the all the lights, but you can still see the home clearly. Take multiple shots from different angles (slight upshot is best). Then pick your best of these photos as your cover photo and see if it improves your bookings.

Add Host Guidebook

This will really help guest with recommendations for the area. I would put all the locations you mentioned in About This Space and add recommendations for restaurants and shopping in the area

Hope this helps! Let us know how it goes!

That was very helpful Joan. I'll look into making those edits. Just strange that all bookings and inquiries have stopped since then. I'll update my listing to see if that helps. Much appreciated!

Yes...I agree it is a bit strange. However, since the summer release and new search map, many hosts having similar issues 🤔

Take a look at your views in the Insight Section now and keep a record. Once you make your changes, go to your Insights Performance Section and monitor your views. I hope you'll see an uptick in views and subsequently bookings.  It usually takes about 2wks to notice any changes after major listing updates.

Let us know how it goes and if your changes make any difference 😊

Performance Views.png