Reviews

Answered!
Farzan28
Level 1
Pleasanton, CA

Reviews

I have had one of my most nightmarish day with Airbnb so far. Im sure it may not seem like much compared to the true horror stories I've seen here with bad guests, but I have put a lot of time and effort in to my listing and to even start a good basis of cliental, have even placed the price lower then what I pay for my apartment to get started with the experience of hosting guests. So far I have excelled and have met all of my guests need and have done everything right. Upon the completion of my last guests stay, he rushed in reviewing me and accidentally clicked 4 star for my location instead of 5 star and immediately reached out to me to apologize and asked for help to change it. After countless calls with Airbnb Representatives I was offered no solution in the event of a accidental place of stars in a review or any way to find a solution for me not to lose my accolade on my airbnb listing that said "100% of recent guests have rated this location 5 stars". Even though it may have been small, it meant a lot to me as someone who sacrificed everything to make this dream possible and Airbnb my career.  It makes my page feel empty and takes away all I have worked for to achieve that, all because of a mistake. I hope a better system can be put in place to help rectify reviews, even in a short period of time after they have been posted, if the guest and host agree to it especially if it was clicked wrong accidentally. It has really hurt me and I wouldn't wish any other Host to be in this position. 

1 Best Answer
Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Farzan28  I'm sorry that  happened and yes much about airbnb's review system is unfair.  With that said, you are going to eventually run into an actual 'bad' guest, maybe not someone who is destructive or dangerous, but someone who will give you a 3 or 4 rating for a totally insane, oddball reason.  You need to emotionally distance yourself from the reviews and the ratings,  when you get a really unfair review you don't want to let it have so much impact.  Good luck.

View Best Answer in original post

31 Replies 31

Likely you already did this but curious if you called them or ever had a personal interaction?

Elizabeth2240
Level 2
San Antonio, TX

Sorry above was in wrong place.  

Frances64
Level 1
Draper, UT

I'd like to know if the guest can see our hosting review before they post a review. We just had a guest leave that left the place in not very good condition. they left a dishwasher full of dirty, food crusted dishes, used every towel in the linen closet (not the new ones in the bathroom that were put out for them), and left spills in the refrigerator and microwave. We normally have great guests that are very respectful, but this guest, who was a former host, sure didn't. 

Can  guests see a hosts review before posting one of their own??

Bad guests give bad reviews. The have come to expect bad reviews from hosts so they want to beat you to the punch

I had a guest show up with undisclosed additional adult and a pet that looked like it weighed over 150 lbs.  Had a massive cleanup of dog hair - they left in vaccuum, clogged bathtub drain, and I'm still getting the hair out nearly 8 days later!  Their dog chews the corner do my new silk area rug and made huge scratches in my new LVT flooring . I sent some pics.  They didn't respond.   I left them detailed and honest review but didn't not disclose the damage. Have them 4 stars for at least cleaning basic - though found dirty appliances and items shoved in kitchen cabinets. Trash was out and beds stripped.  That was something.  Damage was another. If my family didn't have a flooring installation and repair company, I would have really gone after this. I wanted at least a review. Goes out over 6 days to give them a review... they did nothing.  They were waiting for mine and then did nothing. I guess that is better than A bad one.

No. They cannot see your review. Both people have to post before they can be seen.

Susan4094
Level 2
Ann Arbor, MI

I just had the same thing happen. Individual categories it was all 5 stars but overall 4 stars.  He went on about what a great location it was. He did comment on the street noice on Saturday night. My unit is in a popular downtown location close to sports and concert venues. That’s why people want to stay here. I’m so frustrated with the unfair ratings. I don’t think guests realize that we live and die by this ratings. It affects our income. Then we are helpless to change it. 

I am seeing my 5 star reviews shrink with the new system. People do not read information about the site let alone all of the choices that have been implemented in the NEW review system. I think Airbnb should go back to the way it used to be.

Pat9257
Level 2
Mims, FL

I don't leave reviews anymore unless 5 star. The host can roast you. I had black mold in Edinburgh and went to a hotel. I didn't leave review since I gave a person in Brussels a not as described review. She did not have a washing machine and still has posted on listing that she does. They left us wet towels and linens. I asked her was there a dryer and she went crazy on me telling me a four day stay didn't require laundry! I just wanted to dry the wet stuff. Homeless people camped outside our door and we were across from a pedestrian zone and Marriott. This was a bit freaky. Broken couch and the bed was the smallest double I have ever seen. More like a big twin. I am afraid to leave a review anymore. We spent 400 a night for the filthiest apartment in Dublin. The pots and pans were nasty and we just microwaved anything we bought to eat. Our socks were black. I left no review. I think some people never check what the cleaners don't do and we are so good about removing shoes. Not anymore. I am really hesitant about reviews now. We did have the most wonderful place in Islay in May. PERFECT.  The review system is bad.

Michael6695
Level 2
Portland, OR

Glad but frustrated I found this post and the comments. Thanks to @Mark116  for the reminder to remove the emotion.  I'm sure a lot of others have also gone through significant pains of time/emotional/financial investment into their house only to be met with such a horrible rating system.     

We just had a guest give us a review.  The written review wasn't bad but then looking at their star rating, we got

Accuracy 4

Check in 2

Communication 3

Location 4

Value 4

Cleanliness 5 

A) why doesn't Airbnb have a drop down or an mandatory reason why they gave their star rating when below 5?  It would only help the host

B) When less than 5 rating is given, I'd think the guests previous ratings would be used to weight their rating. This guest had not had any reviews before.  

C) A lot of this rating system is subjective and possibly damaging.  But what gets me on this rating, we get a 2 for check in.. The damned place was self check in.   And communication...what am I missing almost the entire communication was from me and the communication between us was responded to in minutes, all well before their check in.  

Melis2089
Level 1
İstanbul, Turkey

I have only had 5-stars so far, but one person left a review with 1-star and full of lies and inaccuracies. 

Unfortunately, airbnb would not remove it.  

I was told that I could "reply" to it.  My bad that I kept putting it off, until the last day, when I finally got myself to respond to it.  Procrastination on my part, but they do give you "a month" to reply.  So, I thought I still had a day to write it when I tried to submit it.  I was in for a bad surprise!

She had submitted it on Aug 24th...And apparently, because August lasts 31 days, and because the "month" rule is for "30-days,"  my review couldn't be submitted on Sept 24th, but only until the 23rd.  And in fact, only up to the specific time that she had submitted it on the 23rd

Hours on "airbnb support"  to no avail.

Has anyone had a similar experience?  Were you able to resolve it?  

Melis2089 Its fourteen days Melis not a month .I would carefully read the reasons why a review can be removed and have another try at getting it removed. Good luck .....Revenge ?      H

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen744 I think @Melis2089 was talking about leaving a response to a review, not a review itself. While we have 14 days from check out to leave a review, we actually have one month from a review being left to respond to it.

I never thought about whether that meant a calendar month or four weeks or what, but it seems it means 30 days...

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

Huma0 I sometimes think not answering those reviews is the best way to go any way.   H

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Farzan28  I feel for you and what has happened. It is sad that there isn't in place where the guest can contact if they have made a mistake on overall review and this can be rectified if all totals are 5 but not overall stars. Seems simplee to me.

I know how you feel when you get a low score early in the Airbnb life. I know my heart dropped with disbelief. When looking back to communication the guests was asking about the cottage and how close to the main residence and more. This is what I learnt was a red flag. What I did go back and describe where the cottage is located onthe property. But I think this lady wanted total privacy and she chose the wrong place to stay.

This topic has risen as a hot topic again so, we hope Airbnb administrators can recommend a change.