Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Reviews

Taizz0
Level 2
Portland, OR

Reviews

Hi to everyone!
 I’ve been hosting for 13 years, and was wondering about AirBnb’s stated policy of soliciting reviews from guests who cancelled up to the same day the booking starts.  I would welcome understanding the following:
1.  What is there to review about the

—-cleanliness

—-location 

—value

—check- in

—overall experience 

if the guest never even checked in???

is AirBnb deliberately soliciting retaliatory reviews?

thanks in advance for any responses!

—-Taizz

9 Replies 9

Hi Taizz,

Airbnb can remove the review from the guest who never check in to the property. For reference, Guests and Hosts can also leave a review for certain reservations that are canceled on or after the day of check-in (12:00 AM in the listing's time zone). 

However, as per Airbnb policy, if a guest never arrived for their stay or Experience, or had to cancel due to circumstances unrelated to that stay or Experience, their review may be removed.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2673

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Upfish Management

Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Taizz0 

I don't recall ever being in this position where a guest who did not check in, gets a chance to review. To me it has looked like the moment the booking is officially canceled on the Airbnb system, neither party gets to review the other one. I assume it only happens if the booking is not officially canceled and the guest is not refunded?

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

No if the guest or host cancels on the same day as a guest is due to check in  a review can be left @Shelley159 

Ok - thanks to everyone who chimed in on this!

my actual question was:

if the guest  canceled before checking in ( even on the day they were supposed to check in):

what is there to review?????

how can they rate the 

—check-in

—cleanliness

—location 

—value

—communication 

if they never checked in????

Elisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Taizz0 😊

Thank you for asking this in the community! 

@Shelley159 made a great point. 

Did you manage to find an answer to your question? 

Warm regards🌻,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center
Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

If the guest never checked-in, then the review may be removed. 

Airbnb doesn't know if the guest checked in or not. It is possible that the guest checked in AND then left. 

In which case, the guest is given a chance to review the listing still. 

Thanks for your response. 
if the guest CANCELS before checking in, why would you think they might have checked in?

warmly,

taizz

You mean like if the checkin is at 4PM, and the guest cancelled at 2PM?

In that case, I think Airbnb still allows the guest to post a review, but because the guest never checked in, it may be removed by Airbnb Support. 

Also playing the devil's advocate here, but it seems like I can still comment on the 'Value' and 'Communication' of a listing without having checked in, especially if the level of service provided by the host has been subpar. 

It looks to me as if AirBnb is actively soliciting negative/retaliatory reviews. 
I will explain:

scenario 1:

guest requests a reservation be altered; then cancels (same day as check-in) before checking in, if host can’t accommodate the change. 
Scenario 2:

guest cancels the reservation, but “forgets” to let the host know, and cancellation fees apply as per hosts’s cancellation policy. 

In both these cases, it is patently absurd to solicit a review from either party. 

—-guest didn’t check in , period. 

that is obviously different from :

Guest checked in, then had to cancel because:

— place not as advertised

—health issue ATFER arriving;

( a health issue prior to arrival is completely different)

—safety issue after arriving