Sensing my first negative review

Answered!
Abi010
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

Sensing my first negative review

@members in the community. Please I need an advice on how to deal with this situation.  A guest booked my place for the 18th ,  then  emailed me, that he will be checki n on the  17th,  and  5 minutes later, I received another message saying he is at my place.  Rightly so I  was annoyed, and told him that. the excuse that he gave was that he put in the wrong date,  and he thought, it would be better to be in one place,  rather than staying one night in another place,  before coming to mine the next day,  and that it he can easyly get another  Airbnb should he wish to , his effontry really irritated me,so I told him to find another place as his booking was for the next day. Of course , this has now caused unpleasant situation, so  I  called CS to cancel the whole reservation , it was  for 5 days,  but the CS assistant I spoke with says I can with penalty,  of course I didn't want to pay for his mistake and arrogancy. 

Today is his check in day,and  asked to cancel, so he can book somewhere else,  twice I emailed him to let him know,  it is his choice, if he wants to cancel, my cancellation policy is flexible.  He must have spoken with the CS as well, and a full payment will be made to me.

To cut the long story short,  he is now in my house with his son. I reiterated my points above, but he's non- apologetic, so  my question is , how do I review him, I am certain he will give me a negative review,  which will be my first,  or am I jumping the gun . Please help 

1 Best Answer
Debbie210
Level 10
Huntington Beach, CA

Hello.
So, he is now inside your rental.
Make sure all of your communication is on the Airbnb platform. If you can start over with him and make his stay pleasant, it may help you receive a good review.
If you receive a poor review, you may have recourse with Airbnb,  If his review is a retaliatory review. Good luck moving forward with this guest. 

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Debbie210
Level 10
Huntington Beach, CA

Hello.
So, he is now inside your rental.
Make sure all of your communication is on the Airbnb platform. If you can start over with him and make his stay pleasant, it may help you receive a good review.
If you receive a poor review, you may have recourse with Airbnb,  If his review is a retaliatory review. Good luck moving forward with this guest. 

Abi010
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

Thanks Debbie, I'll try my best, but he is not saying much for now.

So fingers crossed, 

@Abi010 sometimes things can go very wrong because of who really knows what. Just message and ask if he is comfortable , except for the little boy I would have told him to leave but who knows . It may be stress that got you off to a bad start ,so just check via messaging until you are back to yourself... good luck.. H

has he paid for the extra day ?...H

Abi010
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

No Helen, he doesn't need to pay, as I didn't allowed him to check-in because of his arrogance, as he doesn't seem to think, it was an issue,  so I told him to book somewhere else for that day.My contract with him was for the 18th and not the 17th. 

The room was available, but because of his lack of respect for someone's privacy and property,  and he feels he can just do that,  I declined him to check in. 

Some guest just needs to know that,  yes I offered a.space in my home  , but as a host, I have the ultimate decision of who comes to my house and when, and especially when he wasn't booked for that day. 

Thanks as always 

@Abi010 I agree with you totally but try not to worry about the review. But remember to ask in the messaging if everything is okay each day and remember to send a message before he leaves. Also in this case I would ask him outright as well , as soon as you feel okay about it. Do you have a co host who can maybe pop in and say hello. I did always find that if somone caught me off guard that a co host could often have a slightly different approach that would work out a little better. ... H

Abi010
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

Thanks, I will try that suggestion 

Abi010
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

Thanks Helen, I am a live in host, but at work now, I usually send  a welcome message to all my guests a day after check in and to make sure that everything was OK and also  asked if there is anything I can do to make their stay comfortable . I  have sent it  2 hours ago,  but no response yet.I am really trying my best,  so  I will see.

Thanks again for your time