Shampoo, soaps, toiletries, and personal items - what do you do?

Answered!
Randy0
Level 3
Portland, OR

Shampoo, soaps, toiletries, and personal items - what do you do?

I provide guests with a dedicated private bathroom along with their rented private room.

I am currenlty providing shampoo and soaps (along with some other personal items and toiletries)...however I buy a regular size bottle of shampoo, conditioner, and body wash that can be used for multiple guests; mainly because it's cheaper and more economical.

However, as I have skimmed through other listings I see some hosts provide 'travel size' or 'single use' items for each individual guests (similar to a hotel).  Is this normal?...good?...or acceptable? or should I consider buying single use and travel size soaps and shampoos?  

I just started hosting so I haven't heard of any negative feedback on the issue, but I don't want to make a guest feel 'yucky' about it.  I've traveled through Airbnb and have used normal size bottles of shampoo and shared bars of soap and have been fine with that, but I'm not sure if that is OK with the general community.  

I'm looking to guage what other hosts are doing in the way of providing bathroom essentials.  thanks! 

1 Best Answer
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hi everyone,

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Paula_0-1700501237776.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

View Best Answer in original post

97 Replies 97
Brandee0
Level 3
New York, NY

I've just started hosting on Airbnb. I'm on my 5th set of visitors. So far every group has consisted of 6 people. The group i have now is the first group that has continually asked for more tissues and paper towels. The last few groups were fine with the amount I provided. I'm not being cheap but normally when my husband and I stay in a cabin upstate we use what is there and just buy more from Walmart. Is it my job to provide endless toiletries? They are even here for that long and have already gone through several rolls of both. My other group were here for a much longer time span and never complained. I know this sounds petty and I didn't complain to my guess I graciously refilled but I would just like to know going forward if there is a standard. Can I supply a reasonable amount and then post something in the house rules that states once it runs out they are responsible for refills? If I'm being unreasonable please tell me! Thanks

In addition to Bed and Batch Linens I provide small travel size "essentials" - Bath Soaps, Hand Soaps, Dish Soap, 1 Roll Paper Towels, 2 Toiliet Paper Rolls (in addition to what may already be in teh rolls)

@Brandee0 I'm with you. I provide starter supplies of TP and Paper Towels.  You may want to but something clarifying in your description or house rules if you want to ensure they are read.  

"Our kitchen is fully stocked, and while there may be some non-perishable supplies for your conveniece we do not guarantee a supply.  To ensure you get settled in and have a great start to your stay with us, we do provide initial supply of Toiletpaper, Paper Towels and other essentials but these may not be enough for your entire stay and you may need to purchase additional supplies."

or somethign like that!

Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ

Thank you Andrew! That sounds perfect! 

Thank you Andrew! That sounds perfect! ( and very tactful lol) 

Brandee0
Level 3
New York, NY

Sorry!!! I didn't meant to post that twice!!
Stephanie65
Level 2
Mountain View, CA

Hi Randy, I also provide one large shampoo and a bottle of Cetaphil (a mild soap) which has a pump dispenser.

Sharing a bar of soap has the risk of spreading STDs (sexually transmitted diseases) like herpes, cold sores, and more because they are viruses and not bacteria, so I would discourage you from providing a bar of soap - maybe consider a large bottle of body wash instead. I apologize if this medical info is a little graphic.
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

We use regular size bottles of shower gel, handwash and shampoo - but always keep them topped up for the next guest. So they look like new and its more economical and eco friendly than buying lots of small bottles of stuff that you end up throwing away.

I do pretty much the same, too.  I find it looks like you have gone to the effort of making sure there are new items while the reality is you're being eco (and bank account) friendly 🙂

Alison58
Level 2
Talkeetna, AK

I have thought about this issue as well. It seems like nearly all of my guests so far (minus a few) have helped themselves to the travel sized amenities. It's starting to become out of budget. 

I ordered a bulk box of hotel sized single use soaps from Amazon, but I think I'm going to provide a standard sized bottle of Shampoo/Conditioner with a pump. It seems more eco-friendly as well.

I did like someones idea of having the placard stating "use what you need, leave what you dont."

Kika1
Level 8
Kloten, Switzerland

I provide toothpaste, two showel gels of which one is "for men", face wash, shampoo, conditioner and body lotion. I use pretty dispensers and refill accordingly from quality products. I do not buy individual travel size because that is ecologically nonsense for me, besides the cost and it gives too much the feel of staying in a hotel. I think for the type / class of accommodation I am offering it is just fine. There are q-tips, tampons as well and in my welcome letter in the guestroom, I urge guests to ask me for anything else they need from an aspirin to a yoga mat and if I have it I am glad to share/lend. This is in accordance to my style of welcoming potential friends rather than guests who just choose my place because of price/ location and spend their stay hidden away in their room like a mouse. 

Karim10
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

Hi guys

I used to provide bottles of shampoo and soap bars to my guests and that wasn't really working well as people don't want to see half used bottles and all... so i decided to use a few shampoo dispensers, but they somehow manage to brake after a couple of months...

so i ended up buying disposable hotel toiletries and i found a great online store that sells them at excellent prices!

i pay about $2.10 to $3.00 per bundle.. depending on the kind of amenities i want to offer and i budget the cost in my fees...

go take a look at www.bedbathsupplies.com, it's a new small (store) but the prices and the products are awesome 😉

Karim10
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

i started providing travel size toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, lotion, soap, makeup wipes...) and i found a very good supplier for that. low quantities and good prices 🙂 i budgeted around $3 for every guest staying up to 3 nights and $5 for guests staying more and i include this cost in my cleaning fees ...

[link removed]

Regina37
Level 2
St. Augustine, FL

That's a fantastic resource! Thanks for posting.

Jamie

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Randy0 I used to provide a single/travel size toiletries and realized that it is not efficient/kind of a waste. Some guests not finish them and leaving half empty bottles behind, etc. So, I changed to put a soap/shampoo dispenser in the shower. They are welcome to use it if they want. I feel that it works better now as nothing goes to waste.