Stuck in Verify Photo ID

Answered!
HoaiAnh0
Level 1
Beppu, Japan

Stuck in Verify Photo ID

So this is my first time using Airbnb, when I press the Request to book button, Airbnb asked me to verify my ID (using passport, visa, ec.) The problem is the system keep insisting that my government ID photo and the photo (selfie) I just took myself doesn't match.

Customer Support didn't help much but tell me to try links to links but the result doesn't change. I've tried with my passport photo is both scanned or taken by phone, my selfie is well-lit. I'm a foreigner living abroad and, I just want to book a room and I don't want my first time experience here become something full of hatred. Would appreciate any suggestion!

Thanks in advanced.

1 Best Answer

@HoaiAnh0 - the picture you are using now on your profile is of someone in a tan, hooded jacket, with the hood up, petting a cat.  You cannot see any part of their face or body.  It is not a profile picture that Airbnb can verify.  The picture needs to be of your face - something they can match to your passport as they use an automated service - which may be why you are getting a validation error.  Many hosts will ask for a picture in which they can recognize you when you arrive at their door.  The picture of person with cat could, quite literally, be anyone.  Personally we would require a picture where we can identify you by sight.  It's the only way we can be assured that we let you in and not a stranger.  

Additionally, the link for verifying is to help you get fully verified by Airbnb - which is looks like you have completed.  

View Best Answer in original post

135 Replies 135
Michelle2553
Level 2
Perth, Australia

I am trying to upload my drivers licence and am getting the message that We werent able to confirm your profile.  Please provide a new photo.  I've tried taking the photo of my id on my phone, but get a message that tells me to line up in border then click camera icon, but there is no photo icon on the message.  I've checked you tube, and there is clearly a camera icon on the page to upload photo.  Have tried on my laptop too but keep getting the photo is not ok.  Please help

Sheila546
Level 2
Virginia, United States

Wow. This photo ID upload issue is an even bigger issue than I realized. I am SUPER uncomfortable with uploading through the INTERNET my govt. ID. Period. Tried calling an Airbnb # to discuss and I was on hold forever until I finally hung up. In searching for another way to contact Airbnb, I found this thread, and now I am even more resolved to NOT upload anything to them. Sounds like a complete mess. Plus a little insight into how Airbnb is squeezing its hosts. I get the need for security, but there has to be a better way (short of uploading very personal Govt ID!) to vet hosts and guests so that all parties are comfortable. The current Airbnb set up is an identity theft hacker's dream waiting to happen.  I am happy to show my ID to hotels, etc. when checking in, but that is leagues apart from having a photo of my ID "out there" in the internet ether. Hard Pass.

Peter3050
Level 1
Bangkok, Thailand

I had this today. Spoke at length with support on the phone who were friendly and apologetic, but also very very clear that there's no solution or escalation path here. The only solution is to delete your government ID from your profile (cancelling all your bookings), and re-upload it. Will that churn through several thousand dollars of pending refunds and so on? Yes, yes it will, but Airbnb don't care.

Rita2130
Level 1
Montreal, Canada

I spent 5 days trying to make a reservation without success. I tried several selfies but none was accepted to confirm my booking. The support team was always very nice, trying to help but they cannot do much about the system. I was very tired, frustrated, disappointed as Airbnb used to be so simple and precise but their automated system turned out to be confusing. I will share here what I did as a guest and hopefully this can help others. After several trials with selfies, even changing my profile picture to be the same as the one that was being submitted as selfie, the only thing that worked for me was when I used another profile for which I had no ID yet and no telephone registered, it was never used. Then I made the reservation with this "new" never used profile. Before processing my payment they asked me to verify a contact number and to submit an ID document, which I did uploading good pictures that I had on my computer (front and back). My picture on the ID is in black and white. If your ID has a colorful picture and it is not accepted, try scanning it for black and white and try again, hopefully it will work. So after this experience I will try going back to the original profile where I have reviews and a history,  I guess I can just swap my existing ID there to the same ID used on the "new" profile. This should solve the problem.

Jasper59
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Any fixes for this yet? Seen and tried all that ive seen, none working. Been denied over 10 times now and nothing the support team can do to help. I lose my reservation in 4 hours, eeeeeeeeeek!

Timothy393
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

I am not going to supply my driving licence. Why I hear you ask, because why do Airbnb need to know what class of vehicles I am allowed to drive! Mine being a UK licence this is the only information on the rear!!

Theodore72
Level 1
Independence, MO

Yeah, photo verification sucks! I'm a first timer, and just about didn't go through the BS. 1st, I don't trust any place having my photo ID and credit card information together. Do I get to see a photo ID of the host? Second, the process didn't work properly, I uploaded a photo as requested, then It wanted a photo ID, then I asked to take a photo, and tried to UP load a photo using the Airbnb process, that was impossibly. Finely I went back and used my web cam and up loaded the photo. This may be good for the host, but not the guest. I wish I could find some way to complain to Airbnb, but it's impossible, I can just imagine the customer service I WON'T get if I have a problem.

@Theodore72  You are somewhat unclear on who this information is available to. You are not giving this info to the host- you are uploading it to Airbnb. Hosts do not see your ID, or your credit card info. All we hosts see is "Verified ID" on your profile, to know that you have provided that information to Airbnb. 

Yes, you do see most hosts' profile photos attached to their listings. Hosts only see a guest's photo after a booking has been confirmed. We also only are privy to your phone number after a booking is confirmed, and at that point, you are also given the host's phone number.

Some hosts do ask guests for ID, at least to see it when you check in. This is to assure that the person who shows up is the person who booked. In some countries, hosts are required to give copies of guest IDs to the local authorities.

I would point out that hotels also ask for your credit card info and ID.

But yes, you are correct about the Airbnb site being difficult to use. There are a lot of tech issues and the software is poor.

Amanda1973
Level 1
Glasgow, United Kingdom

I also had trouble verifying my photo to id and solved this by downloading the airbnb app, adding a profile pic and location, then submit verification photo, good luck!

Tabbatha3
Level 1
Portland, OR

I am having the same issue right now and it is so annoying. I'm loading the VRBO app. I will not use Airbnb again.

Same.  No more Airbnb for me.  More trouble than it's worth.

Michael6828
Level 1
Caerphilly, United Kingdom

I have also had the same problem getting my ID verified. I have spent hours struggling on my computer to get through this dreadful process, but it has now been resolved after a conversation with Diana at Airbnb.

The answer is simple... it will not work on your desktop computer but will on your mobile/cell.

Download the Airbnb app onto your phone.

Go to your account and then to the part with the 'government ID'.

Go to the 'driving Licence' (or 'passport') and it will ask you to photograph your driving licence. Make sure it is well lit and clear - front and back. Upload and that's it.

It worked for me. I sincerely hope it works for you (all of you who have been so frustrated by this appalling process). Good luck.

Michael

Didn't work for me.

I have found the solution to this..

The photo of your ID that was uploaded should be uploaded through the AirBnb app and not through the website. If you didn't do this, remove the id and reupload via the actual app. Reason being the app has better recognition software to match against your selfie but because its an automated system it only complains about your selfie and not the ID counterpart that you uploaded.

Annoyingly support don't know this and will only escalate it to somebody from the 'Trust team' who essentially ask you to try again and try again...