Successfully contesting an unjust dispute charge for damages claimed by a host

Successfully contesting an unjust dispute charge for damages claimed by a host

During our stay, we encountered a rude host and discovered several broken furniture items. Additionally, various amenities, such as shampoo, conditioner, and cleaning supplies, were missing. Regrettably, I didn't take any photographs of the damage, and all communication with the host took place over the phone.

After our stay, the host left us a positive review but privately asked for a favorable review in exchange for a $200 gift card. When I declined and provided an honest review, they suddenly initiated a reimbursement request for $950, alleging that the TV was scratched beyond repair. The only evidence they provided was a photo of the TV with some fingerprints on it (taken by the mother of the host who was cleaning the place).

This situation was incredibly shocking, especially considering that we diligently cleaned the place before departure and were certain the TV was in perfect working condition, without any scratches. However, since I lacked substantial proof, the resolution center ruled in favor of the host, demanding that I pay the full amount for the alleged damage. The decision was made solely based on a single blurry picture, and despite my multiple requests to see additional photos of the damaged TV or receipts for repair or purchase, all of my inquiries were ignored.

Feeling helpless, I sought assistance from a lawyer friend who helped me gather evidence of suspicious behavior exhibited by the host and even the Airbnb agent handling the case. Only after the funds were deducted from my bank account I submitted a second appeal, presenting all the new evidence and requesting a different agent to review my case. Surprisingly, Airbnb assigned a new agent and, even more astonishingly, reversed their initial decision, issuing a refund.

I wish to share this story with the community to impart several valuable lessons:

1. Always take photos of the rental property upon arrival and keep all communications within Airbnb's messaging system.

2. Lack of concrete evidence does not necessarily mean you have no chance of proving your innocence regarding damages.

3. Airbnb's customer support may be lacking, but persistence can lead to having your case reviewed by someone with a fair perspective.

4. Gather all possible information regarding the cost of repairing any claimed damages, including considering wear and tear, to strengthen your case.

5. It is crucial to thoroughly review the host's feedback before making a booking (Unfortunately, I neglected to do so in this instance, only realizing afterwards that numerous reviews mentioned their rude behavior and poor problem resolution skills).

By sharing my experience, I hope to provide others with valuable insights and guidance in navigating similar disputes.

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Yuliia14 It is really good to see that Airbnb finally did the right thing.

Exactly.After facing multiple stories of hosts or guests experiencing unresolved issues and encountering an unfair resolution of similar cases, I honestly had little hope for my situation to be resolved fairly.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Yuliia14 I suspect you were helped by the host leaving you a glowing review and then reversing this in their response to your review! I just hope this doesn't stop you using Airbnb.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Yuliia14  Glad you were persistent and that this ended favorably for you. Honestly, I am surprised that the $200 gift card offer was not enough to convince the CS agent to rule in your favor immediately. Offering compensation in exchange for a good review is bribery and completely violates Airbnb policy.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Yuliia14 Good story and good ending.

Honestly, it has always been my experience, if Airbnb's CS department is approached calmly and logically, most of the time one will be able to solve just about any issue, fairly. The only reality to be kept in mind is how much their personnel varies among each other, but sooner or later one with persistence would could get to a reasonable person.