The good old question about communal front doors

Paolo1531
Level 2
Southampton, United Kingdom

The good old question about communal front doors

Hi all,

I bet this subject has been raised many times.

I'm on the verge to buy a new flat in the UK and I would like to have the chance to rent it on Airbnb once I move abroad so that I can still come back and use it occasionally while compensating the expenses for taxes and maintenance.

What troubles me is the necessity to share the access code to the front door, above all when front doors are key-less. I guess that even a normal key would be a risk anyway as anyone could have it copied.

I might be a bit paranoid but I'm sure that many people shared this preoccupation before starting hosting.

Anyone would like to share a bit of their experience?

Also, a few other curiosities related to this:

- Did anyone have issues with neighbors complaining about sharing the code? That's something that happens even when we ask a friend to come over to look after the cat for instance, although Airbnb guests are of course less reliable then the old friend feeding the cat, watering the plants or collecting the post.

- Has anyone tried to suggest to the other residents to install a front door lock that allows temporary access codes for guests in addition to the main access code so to give everyone the extra security if they wanted to do short rents? How did the conversation go?XD

Thanks for anything you'd like to share.

Happy New Year everyone!

Paolo

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Paolo1531 Many apartment block leases do not allow short term rental. Also the fire regulations for STR are more onerous than for a long term rented flat so compliance might be impossible unless the management company is willing to modify the common areas.

Paolo1531
Level 2
Southampton, United Kingdom

Thanks! Fortunately some of the properties I have in mind already allow STR in their lease. I'll ask about the fire regulations situation.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have you checked that they don't have a clause in your lease about running a business @Paolo1531 

Lots of residents in flats don't like having STRs in their building because of concerns about partying/anti-social behaviour/having lots of strangers coming in and out of the building.

I don't think it's reasonable to ask other residents to change the main door entry system to accommodation your guests.

When I lived in an apartment block the guy on the top floor did Airbnb and I was regularly interupted when working from home and late at night by guests that weren't able to check in either because he wasn't in when he said he would be or the self check in didn't work.

It is a difficult one for sure.

Hopefully some UK hosts who host in apartment blocks will come along with suggestions.