Upscale property in preparation - crazy question about flatware and such…

Answered!
Amy2092
Level 2
Kampala, Uganda

Upscale property in preparation - crazy question about flatware and such…

Ok, this is perhaps a stupid question. I’m taking advantage of Black Friday to buy basics for a new property we are yet to close on that has million dollar views and we hope to bump up to like $400/night range with upgrades and such. 

I’m bumping up our mattresses, bedding, and towels, obviously. Should I do the same for flatware? A lot of the fairly expensive 18/10 stuff can’t be dishwasher washed or (esp if you leave it in for heat dry cycle) it can chip and rust. Below that is just normal flatware. Above that is really quite expensive for something that maybe doesn’t matter and maybe folks lose or walk off with or bend or whatever. Same with dinnerware. We just went with plain Mikasa glass plates for our other property - they look… normal. 

Anyone out there with a (mid range?) property who can let me know what you did, and whether guests cared or not whichever way you went, I’d love to hear your experience. I know this is way-detailed question, but… in my experience it’s often the smaller details that can make a huge difference… Just unsure if dinnerware fits that bill…

Amy B
1 Best Answer
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Amy2092 

Our observations are that guests notice the comfort of the beds, styling of the house (tasteful artwork & bed coverings, etc) conveniences such as providing everything they need such as dishwasher tabs, cleaning liquids, washing supplies, etc.

...and the simplicity of operation e.g., light switches easy to find... Appliances simple and easy to use... Stuff like that. 

Also, we have a rack of basic cooking things. Spices, sauces, etc. And coffee and tea. They don't have to remember to buy it at the supermarket, which they'll likely forget. 

With respect to dinnerware, quality is always better, but you need not spend a fortune, just make sure it isn't super cheapo. They'll notice that. 

But on dinnerware, most important is to provide lots of it. The reason for this is that people on holiday don't want to have to clean dishes every time they eat. They'd rather just get more plates and silverware out of the cupboard, put the used stuff in the dishwasher and turn it on when it's full. Like we all do. 

We comfortably accommodate 8 pax. We have enough dinnerware for 16 or more. Pl6s lots of serving bowls and serving plates, we try to keep the pots and pans as new as possible, and we supply recloseable plastic containers for the leftovers. We get a lot of positive comments about this. 

Just think about what you would need/want if you lived there (and keep it very very clean!), and you'll no doubt have happy guests. And happy guests lead to glowing reviews, which leaves you less vulnerable to price competition, and generally attracts a better quality of guest. 

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Amy2092   We provide mid-range flatware, and purchased two sets with completer pieces (serving spoons) holding one set back for use as replacements as pieces go missing.  It has never been commented on by our guests.  We do have a decent set of steak knives -- which people have liked.  

As to dishes, in our larger homes (8 people) we provide an everyday set of plain white, and a set of patterned china purchased at a thrift store for doing a dressed up dinner table.   Our smaller properties (4 guests) get just the one set of white with place settings for 8.

Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

mid range. Oh, and knife sets that are dishwasher safe cuz guests invariably put them in the dishwasher 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Amy2092 

Our observations are that guests notice the comfort of the beds, styling of the house (tasteful artwork & bed coverings, etc) conveniences such as providing everything they need such as dishwasher tabs, cleaning liquids, washing supplies, etc.

...and the simplicity of operation e.g., light switches easy to find... Appliances simple and easy to use... Stuff like that. 

Also, we have a rack of basic cooking things. Spices, sauces, etc. And coffee and tea. They don't have to remember to buy it at the supermarket, which they'll likely forget. 

With respect to dinnerware, quality is always better, but you need not spend a fortune, just make sure it isn't super cheapo. They'll notice that. 

But on dinnerware, most important is to provide lots of it. The reason for this is that people on holiday don't want to have to clean dishes every time they eat. They'd rather just get more plates and silverware out of the cupboard, put the used stuff in the dishwasher and turn it on when it's full. Like we all do. 

We comfortably accommodate 8 pax. We have enough dinnerware for 16 or more. Pl6s lots of serving bowls and serving plates, we try to keep the pots and pans as new as possible, and we supply recloseable plastic containers for the leftovers. We get a lot of positive comments about this. 

Just think about what you would need/want if you lived there (and keep it very very clean!), and you'll no doubt have happy guests. And happy guests lead to glowing reviews, which leaves you less vulnerable to price competition, and generally attracts a better quality of guest. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Amy2092  People are  usually harder on items in a rental than in their own home, so I would go with mid range for both flatware and dishes.  I would choose something that fits with the style of the house.  And everything would absolutely have to be dishwasher safe.