Urgent Bed bugs

Joel1419
Level 2
Claira, France

Urgent Bed bugs

Hi,

We have a booking in an appartment in Melbourne N° **Joel **. We have an urgent issue with bed bugs in the appartment. We had to leave suddenly the appartment yesterday at midnight. Our stuff and clothes are still in it. We can’t stay in this appartment anymore because it is infested by bed bugs. My wife and me have been bitten and my wife is seriously ill . You will find photos attached. When we checked in the appartment was very very dirty , the sheets were dirty and had to wash them  and I sent photos to the host to show it, there was dust everywhere , the kitchen appliances were so dirty and the terrasse was full of dust . We spent 4 hours cleaning this appartement .A blind and a chair were broken too but have been repaired. Then the fridge didn’t work and we had to wait 5 days before someone comes to fix it . We also experienced bites and pimples on our body from the beginning of our stay. We didn’t  know the origin of this. But on Saturday and Sunday it became worse for my wife as she overreacted with big pimples. So we decided to check the mattress and we found bed bugs , it is so disgusting . When we push the bed to inspect, it was so dirty under the bed with condom and food and other things. There were bugs and their eggs behind the head board. we have all the proof of this , we took photos , my wife is seriously ill and we now probably have to go hospital. We Also have to book a hotel. so I ask you a full refund for our stay in order to book an hotel today. Thank you for your urgent help. Joel  I can t send photos of the bugs because the size is too big. How can a do ?

**[Sensitive information removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines - photo removed t request of OP

7 Replies 7
Joelle43
Level 10
Cannes, France

Bonjour @Joel1419 

Vous avez posté sur la communauté d'hôtes AIRBNB plutôt que sur le service clientèle  qui seront les seuls a vous aider dans cette situation dramatique que vous vivez.  Il faut les contacter depuis votre réservation par chat ou autre et demander à parler à une personne.  Je vous mets un lien pour expliquer les différentes démarches  à votre disposition;

https://www.airbnb.fr/help/article/1542?

Bon courage,

Joëlle

Joel1419
Level 2
Claira, France

[Post merged by Community Manager to keep relevant  and similar discussions from the author in one place]

Hi I sent you a message this morning regarding my booking ** about bed bugs in the appartment and we need to live the appartment as soon as possible , I try to sent photos to you. Looking forward from hearing you , regards Joel

IMG_9108.jpeg

IMG_9107.jpeg

IMG_9106.jpeg

IMG_9105.jpeg

IMG_9104.jpeg

IMG_9104.jpeg

IMG_9103.jpeg

 **[Reservation number hidden - Community Center Guidelines]

@Joel1419 you need to contact Airbnb on the phone number found on your reservation. No one herein help you as it is a community centre of hosts/guests

@Joel1419,

Did you contact the Airbnb support number and send the pictures? Were you able to leave ASAP and get your issues addressed?

@Rebecca (a community host manager, moderator of these boards) is there a bed bug policy to quickly address these issues? It seems the other mention on a different thread about a different listing was not handled as quickly as one would assume it would be addressed? I understand that bed bugs can hitch rides on guests luggage or clothing and are difficult to address, hence the suggestion of some articles to do a quick check when checking in (look at furniture crevices, leave suitcases outside or in the bathroom in tile, look under the sheets at the mattress corners) as it’s really difficult to address when you’ve been in the space as they are pretty resistant to many pesticide applications (except freezing I’ve heard). What is Airbnb doing to address these listings?

If you’re in a hotel you go to the front desk and ask to switch rooms (not even adjacent rooms as it could possibly be there), but with Airbnb, the guests have support 24/7 but can support help move them to a different listing ASAP? Are there guidelines what to do as a guest if you suspect a bed bug issue to prevent transferring the critters? Are there guidelines for a host what to do if this was reported? 

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi there @Lorina14

I popped @Joel1419 a Dm earlier this morning with some more information and have raised it to the relevant team. Thank you for the tag. 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

I have just had some answers from Air BNB offering a refund of the remaining nights (3) and two more nigths from the owner. So on a total of 17 nights we would get reimbursed of 5 . So it means we would to bear the cost of twelve nights being bitten by bed bugs and living in an unhealthy apoartment. We are traumatised and clearly disgusted on this treatment of the situation. Do we decided to go to court ( VTAC) against both the owner ADVANTE and Air Bnb.

@Joel1419 Thanks for the update - Do let us know how your court case goes. One question though. If it took 14 nights to notice the problem is it possible you inadvertently brought the bedbugs with you into the property?